crazy idea i had...

keerus

someone tell me if this is possible, or if anyone has done it before with success.

venues have rack after rack of effects processors such as compressors, reverbs, delays, etc. what i want to do is, for a show i have coming up, use my computer to do all the real-time processing. i have a variety of plug-ins, and sonar, and a pretty fast computer. my soundcard is 8-in/8-out. i was thinking i could premix the drums in a small mixer before going to the computer to save channels and processing power. i can get the latency in sonar down to 2.9ms, which in my opinion is low enough (maybe it's not, correct me if i'm wrong). could i just use sonar's input monitoring to do what i'm trying to do? are there programs out there that do specifically what i'm trying to do? thanks in advance.

justin

What kind of stuff are you doing???

I did just see Bjork in caoncert on the TRIO network and her rythm section consisted of two guys using two Apple iBooks (titaniums I think) and software samplers.....and one of those cheesy AirFX tabletop things.

BUT.....as Bruce said.....Murphy's Law.

You better make sure your system is rock solid and you have a backup plan......a real solid UPS system and I would even burn useable music tracks onto CD just in case the system glitches or crashes.....cos even though thats cheesy IMO...its way better than not finishing a show at all.

-mike

Yeah, you're taking a chance there. I don't understand why you would want to do that anyway.

Actually....

....I wanted to do a setup in this little hippy cafe....oh kill me now Mr Cliche.....and have mics at tables and run them into the computer and sample people talking and eating and then cut it up and mix it ......

......I was imagining a kind of interactive sound-collage type thing...

.....but then I realized the kind of software and hardware demands (ie processing power) it would take....that I didn't have....and also realized sombody would catch on to it and start reciting really bad protest poetry.

-mike

It would be a pain in the ass, but I really dig that idea. I don't have the patience to set it all up, but I'd sure show up at the hippie cafe to recite bad poetry :D

Back