Crazy From the Sunshine

RAMI said:
Hey Incanus, how is that Beatlish guitar sound done, the lead? Is that just a guit through a Leslie?
Great shit.

Super covered it. He's done all the leads so far. I seem to be more fascinated with nuts and bolts kind of guitar parts. Rhythm guits. That's the main music of any song, really--the chords. Leads are 'extras' sort of. Nice and great, but not essential after all, at least in my opinion. We only have two or three songs with solos in them so far. Casey being more of the 'song-bird' is kind of better suited to leads. I dabble, of course, but I'm just more into rhythm guit. Maybe I'll get a little better at it now that I'm playing more guitar in general. . .maybe. . .hopefully. I just hope we can get another song off the ground soon. We've been sort of unsuccessful at that lately.

I've listened a few more times, trying to come up with some more comments, and really can't seem to find any. Just another really well done song. The layering is damn cool. I hear so much going on, and that's what's amazing. I can pick out alot of individual sounds, that mesh reall well.

Excellent dudes... :D

Man I like that vocal/bass combination in the intro. Just noticed that at the "outro" there's a very interesting rhythm of the bass and drum doing triplets against the couplets of the gtr. Very nice.

I think the "little ones" in the song have all come to my neighborhood recently, which is pretty heavily wooded. A raccoon broke into my neighbor's house by tearing off a few cedar shakes from the roof and lived in the attic while they were on vacation.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Man I like that vocal/bass combination in the intro. Just noticed that at the "outro" there's a very interesting rhythm of the bass and drum doing triplets against the couplets of the gtr. Very nice.

Thanks Tim. The Bass and Drum part you are talking about here is what I was talking about earlier concering the end fade--we really wanted to keep that part in. Variations of themes are the best!!!

The intro was something that came out in the mixing phase of this song. Originally, it had all the instruments playing right through from the top--drums, guitars, piano--all of them. But the dynamics seemed wrong somehow, and removing instruments proved to be the answer (or a better answer in any event).

So, Tim, what time signature(s) would you say that the verses are in? Not knowing exactly how to express it in sheet music myself, I was just wondering how you see it.

what time signature(s) would you say that the verses are in? Not knowing exactly how to express it in sheet music myself, I was just wondering how you see it.
I'm hearing the verse as a changing meter... alternating between 3/4 and 4/4 for 6 bars (could be written in 7/4), then 3/4 for 2 bars. Then the whole phrase repeats.

Tim

Loving this tune...

I think Tim has the count right. There are twent-seven 8th notes in what I hear the pattern as.

I'm not an expert at this, but I hear a group of fourteen 8th notes followed by a group of thirteen 8th notes.
However you want to group them will determine the time signature, I guess.

So it can be:

"1 bar in 14/8 (or 7/4?) and one bar of 13/8".

or the pattern is

"3 bars of 7/8 and one bar of 6/8".

Depends on the feel and where you feel pulse.

I just wrote it because it feels right
That's, IMO, the true test of the use of changing meters... do they feel right? Before I listened to this specifically for it, it didn't really seem like there even was a changing meter.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
I'm hearing the verse as a changing meter... alternating between 3/4 and 4/4 for 6 bars (could be written in 7/4), then 3/4 for 2 bars. Then the whole phrase repeats.

Tim

Cool. Thanks Tim.

I see it as quarter notes as well. I call it: bar of 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 3. Then repeat. Good to know I was more or less on the right track. Casey's melody does seem to hide the fact that the meters change around a little. That's one thing I always liked about this song.

Cool tune. Crazy from the Sunshine. Really an enjoyable listen. And even after everyone couting all the time signatures all I hear is a 4/4, boom bah boom bah. I think I was just counting 4/4 and it kept moving right with the 4/4 time. Who cares, the song is cool anyway. :)

You're alright, she's alright....

Well, we could always say it's in 1/4. But that's just crazy talk. :)

Last edited:
Back