crazy floyd rose problem............

gitrguy87

I just got an Ibanez with a floyd rose speedloader tremelo. I thought I had everything set up right, but i cant get it too tune correctly. example: I tune the low E, then move on to the other strings. by the time im done tuning the high E, all the other strings are flat. I have no idea about these things. So any info is appreciated.

Start the tuning from the first string(high E)and repeat several times.
when you change strings ,do it one at the time. If you dont use the trem,
have it blocked.

Put some wood in the cavity to keep the trem from moving. I dunno what a floyd rose looks like, but I provided a pic of my blocked trem. Sorry for the crappy angle, but the flash kept giving me horrible glare. Just above the wood (brown area) is the bridge. This is a pic of the back of the guitar, in case you were really confused. The wood is wide enough to prop itself against the edge of the trem cavity and up against the bridge.

Attachments

• IMG00013.JPG
    IMG00013.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 80
Basically...welcome to the wonderful world of the floating bridge. As much of a pain in the ass at is to get these things tuned at first, it really does become easier. Best advice I can offer is to take notice of how far your tuning of one string will "pull" a different one out of tune. It's a real hit and miss process, and you'll have to get used to the idea of tuning some strings a little flatter or sharper than you're used to, but eventually you'll figure out how to compensate for all the funky string pulling. Once everything gets close, then you can lock down the nut and fine tune to get everything where it needs to be.

all ive ever played have been guitar with whammy bars on them. for 20 years, once you know, then its really pretty easy.

this is a must in order to have your strings in tune everytime.....

1) all sides of the base of the tremelo must be level. front back and sides. make sure you pick ou your guitar and eyeball it as if you were looking down the barrell of a gun. If you cant get the sides level, then look at your springs. make sure they are on straight, no sideways crap, make sure theyre hooked on to the same hook straight accrossed form each other. If you use heavy gage strings you may need to have 4 springs, if you only use like 9's and 10's then 3 should be fine. you do all this by loosening or tightening the springs by turning the screws with a screwdriver for the back and the front is leveled by the mounting screws that you will need to adjust with a allan wrench.

2) make sure the base of the tremelo heighth is level with the surface of the guitar body. not sticking up too high or burried too low.make sure it is completely level and even with the guitar. again this is adjusted by the springs and the mounting screws.

3) get your strings in the ball park of the tuning you want.

4) adjust your trus rod of your neck to the desired string action you want.

5) now tune your strings.

i got to go now, but try this to get started and look back later. i tell you the rest.

remember 20 years and at least 20 guitars this has alway worked for me and they stay in tune with the biggest dive bombs you can come up with.

work calls me now

don't tune across the strings, low e to high e or the other way around, tune outside in, like low e, high e, a, b, d, g, this way the bridge doesnt tip to one side as you tune.

I added 2 more springs into the back, and did the alternate tuning thing (low e then high e etc...) and it seems to be working.

gitrguy87 said:
I added 2 more springs into the back, and did the alternate tuning thing (low e then high e etc...) and it seems to be working.

sounds good Gitrguy, sounds like you have it under control. man i just read my last posting and boy i sound like a "know it all" sorry, i didnt mean to come across that way, i just kept typing and had to get back to work so i really didnt get a chance to read it befor i sent it.

The only other thing that is really important to me is the string lenth/intonation for each string is critical in keeping your wahmmy bar guitar in perfect tune even through string changes and hammering on it while you play.

those little saddles can be moved back and forth by loosening the alan wrench to make your string lenth longer or shorter and will effect the balance and level of your tremelo system.

basically its just like intonating a reg guitar. trial and error till you get the 12 fret harmonic to match the same string fretted at the 12th fret in pitch with out any wavering.

good luck sorry to sound like a big shot, it has just worked for me is all i was trying to say.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

So I have the whole tuning thing down. But, I realized that this is not like any Floyd Rose I've ever seen. The strings load from the back of the bridge. (see attatched pictures) Comments anyone?

Attachments

• P6140033.JPG
    P6140033.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 20
  • P6140001.JPG
    P6140001.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 17
metalj said:
all ive ever played have been guitar with whammy bars on them. for 20 years, once you know, then its really pretty easy.

this is a must in order to have your strings in tune everytime.....

1) all sides of the base of the tremelo must be level. front back and sides. make sure you pick ou your guitar and eyeball it as if you were looking down the barrell of a gun. If you cant get the sides level, then look at your springs. make sure they are on straight, no sideways crap, make sure theyre hooked on to the same hook straight accrossed form each other. If you use heavy gage strings you may need to have 4 springs, if you only use like 9's and 10's then 3 should be fine. you do all this by loosening or tightening the springs by turning the screws with a screwdriver for the back and the front is leveled by the mounting screws that you will need to adjust with a allan wrench.

I use the "claw" configuration, 3 springs. The one in the middle is hooked straight across, and the outside ones go from the outboard holes on the block to the hooks next to the center one on the bracket. It works fine. It just needs to be symmetrical.

Of course, this is pertinent to Fender Strat tremelos, whereas the OP was asking about a Floyd Rose.

But anyway, yes, any string you tighten on a floating bridge guitar loosens the rest of them. However you work out your tuning sequence, you are not done tuning until you can go all the way through from one E to the other without changing anything.

David Katauskas said:
My Floyd loads from the back. Just to make things more complicated, it also looks like you need a strobe tuning.
yeah the saddles seem to be a little wierd there, it definitely needs to be intonated or he will never get it to sound in tune.

Back