crate Powerbock

gibsonguy09

Does anyone hav a Crate powerblock? Is it worth the money to buy that adn speakers over a regular amp? What size of speakers woudl work best? Or should i get a Crate GX212. Any help is appreciated i dont know much about how much sound stuf adn what it is worth.

I think the Poweblock would make a good cheap backup amp, but no way would I use one as a primary. Just a quick look at the specs will tell you that you get what you pay for.

gibsonguy09 said:
Does anyone hav a Crate powerblock?

Oh. Thank goodness. I misread the typo in your title and read it as "Crate PowerBook". I suddenly had an image of a 17" PowerBook, only half again bigger, with an all-wood case and a fire danger from dry kindling too close to the CPU....

:D

gibsonguy09 said:
would a crate GLX212 be better?

I would stay away from solid state crates, if at all possible. I have a Vintage Club 50 3x10 by Crate that is great, but I don't like their solid state amps at all.

dgatwood said:
Oh. Thank goodness. I misread the typo in your title and read it as "Crate PowerBook". I suddenly had an image of a 17" PowerBook, only half again bigger, with an all-wood case and a fire danger from dry kindling too close to the CPU....

:D

yah i spelle dit wrong. I am a very bad typer.

Vintage Club 50 3x10 ... thts a lil out of my price range. i Only hav 500 dollars

gibsonguy09 said:
yah i spelle dit wrong. I am a very bad typer.

Vintage Club 50 3x10 ... thts a lil out of my price range. i Only hav 500 dollars

I only paid $300 for mine. :confused: It was used, but even new, I don't think that they were more than $500.

tourettes5139 said:
I would stay away from solid state crates, if at all possible. I have a Vintage Club 50 3x10 by Crate that is great, but I don't like their solid state amps at all.

I played a Crate G200XL head, was really nice but the distortion was incredibly muddy... However.. Get something like a Boss Super Overdrive and push the amp's lead channel with it and it sounds better than anything Crate has made that I've heard.

I just bought one last week. I will first say that my taste in amplifiers has to date been, and still is MESA BOOGIE. But I will say to those who are saying stay away, to go give one a throrough testing. I LOVE IT! For the $200 I spent on it, it cannot be beaten. I am using it with a POD 2.0 and it is CLEAN, LOUD, PUNCHY, and has plenty of bass response. In fact, I have been using it running through my Carvin Bel Aire 2X12 cabinet, with half power mind you, and it is almost too much for those celestion vintage 30's.

So I say if you are looking for HUGE LOUD tone on a tight budget grab the powerblock. And if you use a tube pre you can even get closer to fine tuned guitar tone at a mere fraction of the price. m/

Back