Crate GX120 & Ultrastack BG412V?

SinisterRouge

So, after a 4 year break I started using my old amp again (Crate GX120 combo). I managed to get some pretty good high-gain sounds from it, with alot of body and no fuzz, almost tubey! I just bought a footswitch for the amp and I'm thinking about buying a half stack cab. Since I'm on a budget the Behringer Ultrastack BG412V looks quite appealing and I've read pretty good reviews. The Bugera speakers are supposedly better sounding than the Jensen ones that are used on the rest of the Ulstrastack series.
So, my question is the following: Will the 115 Watts of the amp be enough to drive the 4x12" 200W cab? By the way, my amp has a 12" at 4 Ohms and a speaker out that connects in series with the extra cab and the BG412V cab works at 200 Watts into 4 Ohms mono or 2 x 100 Watts into 8 Ohms stereo.
Thanks in advance.

Once, when my friends Laney head had beer spilled on it, I saw him plug a 25 watt yamaha practice amp into his 4 X 12 cab for a gig. He mic'ed it up and If I hadnt seen it on stage like that...I would have never known.

i wouldn't get a 115watt cab for a 115watt head, because there is no headroom at all. i think your choice will make a good combo.

or am I just crazy??

I hope you're right. I think that the best thing would be to use a 150W cab instead of 200W but I guess the 200W will work too. Another thing that buggs me is the connection. I mean the combo speaker is 4 Ohms and I will use the cab as 200W at 4 Ohms, since the combo manual says that the speaker-out connects the extra cab in series with the original speaker, can't I disconnect the combo speaker? :confused:

Back