Crappy Overheads

stuckatwork

Hey,
My drummer just got done recording his drums for our CD and so far we got a killer drum sound, much better then we've ever gotten before... only problem is our cymbol sounds are kinda cheap. We used 3 ovehead mics, a SP C1 and 2 AKG C1000s. I know the C1000s are the problem but we had to use what we had. If we take them out we lose a ton of stereo and cymbol definition. We've got a lot of cymbol bleed on all the drum mics(minus the bass drum), but I really love the drum sound we've got going on especially the snare and I don't want to mess with that. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how we can keep the sound of the kit basically the same but take the harshness out of the cymbols? Does anyone have any alternative methods to getting the cymbols to sound right, other then EQ?

Thanks,
Jon

Use a de-esser.

If you have the option, set it so it affects everything from 4 khz on up (or play with it untill it sounds right. :) )

Personally, I'd put the C-1000's on the rack toms (that's what I've been doing for the last year and I'm diggin 'em) and use the SP as a mono overhead or better yet out in front of the kit between 2 and 4 feet (move and listen) about the height of the top of the kick. I really like a large diaphram mic out in front of the kit along with stereo overheads. Very full sound to the kit. YMMV.

Use Istambul cymbals :D

You have phase problems - try to rotate and angle mics, point them out to cymbals from drummers position, or raise them even higher and point at spot where drummer hit the cymbal.

Alternatively you may just have your cymbals too loose. Tighten them up for a punchy sound and use reverb to compensate if necessary.

Sounds like EQ may be your best bet. Maybe suck out all the lows and lower mids so you have kind of a high end cymbal sound, then kind of lay it over the bleed fro the tom mics to complement it if it sounds good enough to you. I've heard a lot of records where it seems the overheads are kind of in the background, and it sounds good for certain styles. I guess it just depends on the sound you're going for. But I still think EQ would be your best bet unless you want to re-record.

Back