Crap! Mysterious hum/buzz

Seanmorse79

I know I ran across this before years ago, but I can't remember how to fix it.

My sound card is eminating some strange noises at somewhat low volumes. When I move the mouse, it gets louder. Also, the playback is sounding wierd - kinda digital and crackly. It has to be coming from the card, and all the audio coming from the computer is sounding this way. What the hell's goin' on?

Any ideas?

I would check all the connections to everything (even internal hardware). Last crackle I had was 'cause something wasn't plugged in right and it took me like 20 minutes to figure that out. Otherwise could something have gotten changed in your Control Panel/sound settings? Hope your soundcard isn't crapping out on you. That's about all I can offer and I'm sure you've already done these, sorry :)

That's cool - thx for the reply. I have re-seated the card and checked the cables. I haven't tried switching slots yet - might be worth a try.

It almost seems like a configuration problem because the thing buzzes whenever I move the mouse. I know I've seen this before I just can't remember to save my life ...figures.

crackly noise while moving the mouse would probably be magnetic/radio interferience from the monitor or video card.

hey wow my lame attempt at building a TEMPEST reciever before they became illegal was good for something. . . :)

...tried switching PCI slots - no luck
...tried turning the monitor off - no luck
...tried turning everything else off in the room - no luck

I'm using the onboard video for this system - nothing fancy. I inspected the cables and tried replacing the power cable to the monitor - no luck.

Any ideas?

Any chance this is a resource conflict (IRQ) between your mouse & soundcard, or video card & soundcard?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I have ACPI disabled (Win2k) to avoid resource sharing on IRQ 9, and control panel reports no conflicts. I'm using a C-Port that's been excellent for me thus far. The only things I can think of that's been changed recently is my network card and the addition of a USB hub (external), and a Mixman.

I can't think of any reason any of those would have anything to do with it. I might have to do the ol' rip-out-and-re-install, but I'm hoping to avoid it (plus, I can't think of a reason why that would even help).

My network card (3com etherlink III) causes audio crackling/popping when it's enabled and I've launched my browser. When I record, I boot with a hardware profile that disables net card and all other irrelevant devices. You may want to try disabling your net card and see if that clears it up.

Back