crap.....Just cracked one of my new monitors =(

strat0tele

I just bought a pair of KRK RP-5s and as I tried to set it up my desk top collapsed and the monitor landed on the floor. The corner of the monitor got f'ed up. Will this affect the sound? This sucks.

ouch.jpg

ouch1.jpg

It's unlikely there's much effect, as long as no internal electronics or the drivers themselves are damaged. If it's possible to remove the woofer, caulk the crack inside the box--if the crack runs all the way through.

crap now i'm noticing that every once in a while the tweeter on the other one is popping even if nothing is being played. Its the same sound as if you pushed in the tweeter and it popped back out. Is the tweeter destroyed now?

I have the shittiest luck.

Still have the box?

Yeah I know it's sleasy but take it back to wherever you bought it from and raise hell.

How did your desktop collapse, were you standing on it? I can't imagine a desk that couldn't take the weight of two monitors.

Sounds like they are messed up. But if it had been dinged only you'd have been okay. A crack through the casing is not a good thing because the case should be rigid and solid (with no moving parts!).

I'm really not for taking the monitor back and pretending there was shipping damage. That seems like really bad karma to me.

He had bad karma when the desk collapsed...

Actually if it is new enough I've had instances where telling the truth worked also...

I'm at college, these desks are pieces of shit, there is shelf above the desk, and the screws ripped right out of the shitty particle board bring one of my monitors to fall on the desk, and the other to fall on the ground.

Intermittently the one gives off a really bad cracking sound, and the other has the crack.

Well, i'm going to try and return them. I'm just going to be honest. Tell them that I dropped the cracked one, and the other one is intermittently crackling. I doubt that is due to me.

See what happens. I just can't fathom going in there making a stink about both of them. OMG YOUR PRODUCTS ARE AWFUL!

If they only let me exchange one of them, is it possible to repair the crack and bring it back to normal? It may be just in my head, but I feel like the one that is cracked lacks a little bit of treble. That may have been the case before the crack.

Back