Crap computer mics...May be a stupid"?"

Antz_Marchin

Ok, well I'm still waiting to get some phantom power (it's on the way) for my SP B1 which is my first mic ....well second next to the boom that is mounted on the side of my monitor. Soooo I've learned alot of stuff about effects and decided to go into Sonar today and play around with the effects (have been hesitant to and use this POS computer mic), I figured it would be nice to know whats going on when my B1 gets hooked up.

The actual question here is, is it possible that these garbage mics will just ruin your voice?? I've sang into 58's before over PAs and sounded good, and just by singing with no mic, I can hear that I don't sound like this at all. I just want to make sure that this is the case and I haven't completely lost it. I've never been told that I am a bad singer except by myself when I hear the playback on Sonar from this mic recording. Guess I should have waited to get the B1 setup (I hope) Thanks......BJ

Everyone is more critical of their own voices. So the only time you've ever heard your own voice is through that shitty mic?

Because it will sound a lot different in a recording than it does in your head. But i wouldn't slit your wrists until you get your good mic up and running.

If anything it will show you your flaws and allow you to practice and get better. Maybe you've been doing a few small things wrong that you never knew about, just keep and open mind about it and it should help you improve!

Cool, thanks ambi.....I have actually heard my own voice before through a PA into a sm58 a few years back when I used to sing/play guitar for the band at my church before I left for school. Sounded good I though then.......thanks for the advice. BJ

Will shitty computer mics trash your vocals? Yes. Listening to yourself is hard, but it will definitely improve your technique.-Richie

First off I cannot stand my voice. I really don't think anyone else will tolerate it either.

On some of the early stuff I recorded, it wouldn't be strange for me to reach for the crappy Creative mic that came with my SBLive Platinum. Just your standard plastic destop boom thingie.

I did 1st verse vocals for a song "Pilot" (If you're brave click the WWW button below) using the above crappy microphone.

Later I recorded tracks with a Sennheiser E-835, but I actually liked the way the crappy mic track sounded better with the song. It was sorta distorted and funky, but so was everything else in the song. Instead of recording the rest of the vocals with the crap mic I stuck with the 835 cause they sounded better on their own.

So I tweaked those tracks to make them sound like the crap mic when I should have just used it in the first place.

What I'm saying is yes they will trash your voice, but sometimes it is in a good way.

Rock on!
Pat

Back