Cranky covers Metallica

CrankyOne

Ok. (Gasp). This is my Metallica cover. The song is Blackened. Some of you may have heard the original, so ... the first thing you'll notice are the weak vocals (and I'm not being modest. I can't scream like Hetfield). I did try to sing more "from the balls" this time. This song is pretty much on my range limits, so there are a few places where it's evident.

So, here's the file:

I couldn't fit it in my NWR page, since it's already full. I just managed to squeeze it on my other site. I hope the mp3 quality isn't that bad. This time I did a lazy drum mix. I mixed all the drums on one track, rather than doing them separately (kick track, snare track, tom track & cymbal track). Remember, be honest about everything. Really. I may remember the bad criticism better, but I usually don't remember who delivered it :D

Man, I'd be interested to know how your drums sound when you really try.

C1 - I - I'm a huge fan of the original, so I have a couple of comments based upon that.

(1) Your snare actually sounds better (fatter) than the original;

(2) The kick is missing just a little bit of ass...real low. Not much, just a tad.

(3) How do you get that guitar in reverse sound at the beginning...I've always wondered how that's done.

(4) Where did you pick up the extra minute and a half? Your intro is a little shorter than the original, I think... but it sounds like the tempo's spot on. (By the way, in Winamp when I pulled it up, it says the song is almost 23 minutes long...hehehehe. I thought I was in for a dance remix).

(5) Yeah, the vocal's the weak link, but HELL...J.H. is kinda' a Rock God...I've been listening since I was in 8th grade, and that guy just gets better. Your voice just sounds young (don't tell me you're 38, b/c that would totally throw my next theory out the window). I think you just need a few years of hard living under your belt if you wanna' copy that sound...but I have a feeling that's not your ultimate goal in life anyway. Just sound like Cranky, nobody else.

Great cover, man. Truly well done. (you got more lows in your git than in the kick...LITTLE JAB ON THE WAY OUT...).

Nice.
-chris

chrisharris said:
(2) The kick is missing just a little bit of ass...real low. Not much, just a tad.

Yeah, that's inevitable, since I mixed all the drums in one track, so if I had boosted the bass, it would have boosted the bass frequencies of snares, toms & cymbals. And that is a lame excuse, but I just had to try if I could get decent results that way. Also, I uploaded the song immediately after mixing it down, so I didn't do the "sleep on it"-thing with it, which is usually smart.

(3) How do you get that guitar in reverse sound at the beginning...I've always wondered how that's done.

I just reversed the original, and listened how it's played, so I played it like that and reversed mine, so it's now the way the original is (confusing enough ? :D ).

(4) Where did you pick up the extra minute and a half? Your intro is a little shorter than the original, I think... but it sounds like the tempo's spot on. (By the way, in Winamp when I pulled it up, it says the song is almost 23 minutes long...hehehehe. I thought I was in for a dance remix).

I'm pretty sure it's about the same length. The original is 6:35, and mine is 6:36 . My backwards intro seemed to be faster, but I guess the tempo was slightly different, so it's about the same.

(5) Yeah, the vocal's the weak link, but HELL...J.H. is kinda' a Rock God...I've been listening since I was in 8th grade, and that guy just gets better. Your voice just sounds young (don't tell me you're 38, b/c that would totally throw my next theory out the window). I think you just need a few years of hard living under your belt if you wanna' copy that sound...but I have a feeling that's not your ultimate goal in life anyway. Just sound like Cranky, nobody else.

I'm 23, so that must be it. I should really drink more alcohol, so I'd get that cool metal voice. Now I sound like a smurf :D

i'm listening right now..........the drum's sound bad ass, they sound real.....if they aren't you fooled me....are they real? if they are, the drummer is amazing........it's a pretty ballzy version you did, the vocals are not hetfield, and they will probably never will be; however, that doesn't mean you can't improve what you've got.........i think a little more volume could help them out......also what kind of mic are you using? a touch more reverb could deepen them........

powderfinger said:
i'm listening right now..........the drum's sound bad ass, they sound real.....if they aren't you fooled me....are they real? if they are, the drummer is amazing........

Drums & bass are midi. Sorry :D but thanks anyway.

......also what kind of mic are you using? a touch more reverb could deepen them........

I used a mic called "AKG acoustics D 70 ME". It's pretty cheap. I'm not sure how much it cost, because I got it free from a friend.

Hey Cranky,
I wont comment on mix 'cause im listening on my shite speakers here at work. Nice tight guits and drums. I cant hear enough bass, but im thinkin thats my speakers..... my fault. If you wanna fatten up those lead vocals, a double might help you out. Hetfield is a warhorse in a league of his own, but the effort is commendable. Nice work man. G

Guernica said:
I cant hear enough bass, but im thinkin thats my speakers..... my fault. If you wanna fatten up those lead vocals, a double might help you out. Hetfield is a warhorse in a league of his own, but the effort is commendable. Nice work man. G

It may lack some bass. I'm not sure. But then again, the original didn't have any audible bass guitar either :D

And about the vocals... I don't think I'll ever come close to those original vocals. The guy who did the Beatallica covers is so far the #1 Hetfield impersonator. If you haven't heard the Beatallica Beatles/Metallica covers, you should check 'em out here:

http://www.sensoryresearch.com/~starkeff/beatallica.html

THIS FUCKIN ROCKS!!!!

Kick ASS!!!
The drums are kickin!!!
I am a guitar player so I always have to ask this question...what did you use to track the axes with???
You nailed the sound on this one...I gotta stop talking so I can listen!!!

YOU ROCK!!!
The King

one word: WHOA! that was awesome crankyone. you have some real skill, and the vocals are definitely good, imo. i was wondering, you said the drums are midi? what equipment/software did you use for the drums?

good job man

KING ELVIS:
I used my crappy Zoom505-II with my crappy guitar. I used Revalver on the guitar tracks to beef them up too.

ARJUN:
I use Cakewalk Sonar for the whole thing. I program the midi parts with it, I record the guitars & vocals with it & mix it. The drums are my own self-made soundfont which I've combined from various soundfonts I've found on the internet, so you won't find the exact same kit anywhere. And you're the first to tell me the vocals are actually good. Thanks, although I can't believe it :D

CrankyOne said:
KING ELVIS:
I used my crappy Zoom505-II with my crappy guitar. I used Revalver on the guitar tracks to beef them up too.

Damn thats a ZOOM???
you are working magic with that thing...I am an instant fan with this one buddy!!!

King Elvis said:

Damn thats a ZOOM???
you are working magic with that thing...I am an instant fan with this one buddy!!!

I think almost any distortion unit is enough if you use Revalver with it. Revalver doesn't work in live situations, but it can be used with multitracking programs. It's basically an amp-simulator.

Hey Cranky,
That beatalica is very cool. I listened to the "Let it Be" remake. Which other do you recommend. I have dial up so i have to choose wisely. .......Otherwise im on this thing 24 hrs a day. :D
Thanks bro,

g

damn Cranky....you impressed me big time. Nice leads too. If this was original, I'd almost call you a fool for NOT being such a damn fine rockstar!!

Yeah...I can hear the "young pup" in your voice... but it's better than you give yourself credit.

dang...killer gtr sound. You guyz just amaze me sometimes. Makes me wonder about your "clean" leads on that other tune, back when....the one we all gave you crap for. This stuff is just in another league.

damn cranky

man great job cranky, awesome guitar work on this one and you realy nailed there tone. i love my zoom 606 but i havnt tried using it with revalver yet. as far as your vocals go it isnt all that bad, considering your trying to sing some very hard stuff here, outta of 10 i give it a 8, awesome work and i cant even think about comenting on the mix because of my lack of good ears but i will say this it sounds alot like the original. keep rocking, loving it on this end. thanks for sharing tim pate

I'll start w/the bad:The vox just didn't cut it at all!its not the mic,but the register it was performed in.The good news is,if you care,I bet you can do a much closer JH than you're doing,if you try hard enough.
The bad ends there!The rhythm guitar was just phenomenal!I'm speachless!Ditto w/ the drum programming(what do you use?).It all really sounded like Metallica.Hats off,that was a very ambitious song to tackle!Don't get me wrong,your vox aren't that bad,but for a cover,I would think you want it to sound like the original!

beezelbubba said:
I'll start w/the bad:The vox just didn't cut it at all!its not the mic,but the register it was performed in.The good news is,if you care,I bet you can do a much closer JH than you're doing,if you try hard enough.
The bad ends there!The rhythm guitar was just phenomenal!I'm speachless!Ditto w/ the drum programming(what do you use?).It all really sounded like Metallica.Hats off,that was a very ambitious song to tackle!Don't get me wrong,your vox aren't that bad,but for a cover,I would think you want it to sound like the original!

Yeah. I'd like them to sound like the original too :D Well, I got somebody to try singing the vocals for it. I'm not sure if he has a similar "vocal tone" like James does, but I'll try.

arjun said:
one word: WHOA! that was awesome crankyone. you have some real skill, and the vocals are definitely good, imo. i was wondering, you said the drums are midi? what equipment/software did you use for the drums?

good job man

As always, I use my own soundfont for the drums & bass and make the song with Cakewalk Sonar.

Guernica said:
Hey Cranky,
That beatalica is very cool. I listened to the "Let it Be" remake. Which other do you recommend. I have dial up so i have to choose wisely.

Hmm... It's a while since I listened to those. I remember them all being pretty good, though. I guess that Sgt. Pepper remake was good.

f#@k yes!!!!!!!!!

huge metallica fan here!!! and this song i love!! and you have done it "justice"(no pun intended) and to even attempt hetfield's vox takes BALLS!!!!!!!!! HELL YEAH!!!!!!!

YOU SHRED!!!!!!!

peace

rick

Back