Crackling Problem in PA9

drummerdoug86

Alright, I have a really irritating problem when I try to record anything on Cakewalk PA9. Sometimes, (it seems like every other time), when I record there will be crackling with it. It sounds like the track is clipping. I made sure the track is not clipping on my mixer, my soundcard toolbox, and PA9, but it still crackles. I have tried setting the levels way low, switching cables, switching tracks on the mixer and soundcard, but nothing seems to work. This really sucks when you record a good take and then you realize you have to do it over when you hear the crackling. I will eventually end up lucky, a get a take where it didn't crackle. Also, this will happen with any instrument, bass, drums, vocals, and guitar! Somebody please help me!! I am running a Delta 44 card with a Behringer Mixer(yeah I know, not the best, but it was cheap, what can I say?).

First, are you sure the crackling is in the recording and not just in the playback? IOW, if you replay the cut several times, is the crackling always in the same spot.

If it's a playback issue, there are a few things you can try.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure its in the recording, as its in the same spots every time I play it. What are some things I could try though if it happpens to be in the playback?

Well there's quite a bit. A couple are:

1. Disable your USB port(s) if you're not using them
2. Reduce video acceleration (Control Panel > System > Performance >Graphics, try reducing it a notch at a time)
3. Increase your latency and/or buffer settings in Sonar (Options > Audio)
4. Try different drivers for your sound card. Get the latest version if that's not what you are using. If you are using the latest version, go back a version or two.
5. Defrag your hard drive. Enable DMA on your hard drive.

There's probably more. Try 'em one at a time to see if any help.

Back