Crackling noise when recording live congas

mikep00

Hi all,
I'm trying to record live congas but at every impact, it makes a cracking sound each time. Not sure if it's the mic or cord thats doing this. A friend mentioned that it could be my buffer size, but really dont know what is causing it. Any thoughts? Here is what I'm working with:

Ableton 8.1
PreSonus FireBox
Nady DM70 mic
OS Mac 10.4

- mike

It sounds like you are overloading your converters, or overloading something.

Extreme digital clipping is a harsh sound.

Have a look at your meters to see if they are clipping, or watch for the clip light on your preamp.
If this is the case, engage the pad on your mic or preamp, turn down the gain, or move the mic further away.

Note: If this is what's happening, you can't fix it in your software. It has to be remedied at the hardware stage.

I reckon Steenamaroo is on the money.

Turn down the level on the input, engage a pad, or move the mikes further way from the congas (or all three).

It sounds like you are overloading your converters, or overloading something.

Extreme digital clipping is a harsh sound.

Have a look at your meters to see if they are clipping, or watch for the clip light on your preamp.
If this is the case, engage the pad on your mic or preamp, turn down the gain, or move the mic further away.

Note: If this is what's happening, you can't fix it in your software. It has to be remedied at the hardware stage.

This is my advice too :) You may also want to check your cable but i suspect your crackling is from the transient clipping your 'system'

Back