Crackling noise when I touch a certain spot on the scratch plate ?

Strangest thing I've only began to notice.

I only managed to figure it out tonight as I thought it was related to the pickups and only an issue when strumming the strings.

However without strumming or touching a string I noticed i can make the same crackling noise just by touching a certain point on my scratch plate.

This doesn't happen on the whole scratch plate just one area which unfortunately is directly below the high E string so when strumming my hand or pinky may touch this area and get this resulting crackle/interference noise.

Its most noticeable when muting strings because I also use my pinky to lean on the scratch plate and this is when i first noticed it.

I've no idea how this can be happening and just in one spot especially as its plastic ?

I might be able to throw a video up later if this needs to be explained more

Thanks

Last edited:
Some plastic pick guards/scratch plates will develop static if you rub your finger on them. I've had it happen more on Teles and Strats than on LP and ES types. I think it depends on the type of plastic used. I have also covered the bottom of the plastic with copper or aluminum and grounded it. That stopped it on a few guitars.

I have one guitar that is particularly sensitive. On that one, I keep a dryer sheet and can wipe the guard to kill the static buildup.

Some plastic pick guards/scratch plates will develop static if you rub your finger on them. I've had it happen more on Teles and Strats than on LP and ES types. I think it depends on the type of plastic used. I have also covered the bottom of the plastic with copper or aluminum and grounded it. That stopped it on a few guitars.

I have one guitar that is particularly sensitive. On that one, I keep a dryer sheet and can wipe the guard to kill the static buildup.
Thanks so removing the plate or lifting it up enough to slide some tin foil might do the trick ? the noise is evident whilst playing as it comes through the amp not so noticeable when playing full chords with od but when muted on clean tone its very noticeable.

Last edited:
Back