Crackling noise coming out the SM7B microphone

lonrot

Hi,

I recently ordered an open-box SM7B (perfect condition), so far so good, except there's some crackling noise coming out of the audio signal.

You can hear a sample of the crackling noise here: View attachment crackling.mp3, it's normalized so you can hear it clearly.

There's only a XLR male to female cable between the microphone and my X2U adapter. My previous microphone AT2035 didn't have this issue and was also connected to the X2U. The suspects here are the XLR cable or the SM7B itself.

RX Denoiser doesn't seem to recognize the crackling as noise so I'm unable to clean the audio like I did with AT2035.

Your thoughts?

Keep in mind that the SM7B needs the preamp gain cranked up much more than the AT2035, so if there is something funky with the cable, it will be more noticeable. Don't by chance have the phantom power on that's not needed by the SM7B?
Also not so "Shure" about that being capable of a bunch of clean gain needed for the SM7B either without adding some artifacts of sorts.

So I just came onto this.....

Full thread...

You are an avid googler. The X2U was in fact making these noises. I will have to save money and get something more robust for the SM7B!

Back