cracked cymbal

No one seemed to have an idea so I tried bolting the cymbal to my 1/2" electric drill straped the whole thing to a vise and clamped the trigger in the on position, then I took a 4" grinder and started grinding the edge away in the reverse direction. I still have all my fingers but I still wouldn't call it a sucess I think I'll take whats left to a metal shop and have them turn it on a lathe.

You may or may not have success with you proposed solution. Ther are two things to consider. The first is that if you are successful, the size of the cymbal will be smaller which will change the tone. The second thing to consider is for the price that you may have to pay the machine shop to turn it, shouldn't you just consider a new one. Hope this is food for thought.

I just wanted to use it as a base with one of those inverted stackable trash/crash cymbals. I guess I could leave it cracked but I would probably cut myself on it or at least increase the crack size. Your right the best solution is always to spend the money but I love to find a use for old cracke cymbals, it just seems such a waste to chunk'em.

Hey Wumpsey. You still have all your fingers,but have you got all your marbles. I have a good friend that used to work for Zildian. He says when they polish the cymbalsthey are spun on a big turntable not secured. Sometimes they take off like a flying saucer and crash into the wall.Very dangerous.

I had the thing in a vise spinning horizontal and the chuck came loose once. It took off spinning like crazy on the concrete until it hit the water fountain. I added an additional nut to keep it from coming off again. This worked fine except the noise of a spinning cymbal and a grinder clashing together inside a garage was a little loud for my delicate ears. Besides the neighbors were starting to congregate in the street trying to see what "the idiot" was doing today.

Your a pisser Wumpsey,We got to get together someday and swap stories. I have quite a few, it sounds like you do too. Paulie.

the best solution i have seen for a cracked cymbal is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack,if it is just coming in from the edge and hasn't started its way around the cymbal.when i was working as an aircraft mechanic,we did this to aircraft skin.the procedure is called "stop drilling" and it breaks up the primary direction of the stress lines in the metal.i had a drummer who worked in the same aircraft repair station as me and he used the tecnique to great effect.the trick is to catch it before the crack gets very large.there is a formula for the dia. of the hole based on skin thickness.crack size type of metal etc. but i can't remember it anymore.i think for a cymbal about 3/32" should be about right.try to center the bit on the very end of the crack..cheers

Back