crack in finish on neck of Epiphone archtop

cashcohen

Jewnior Member
I own a 1996 Epiphone Emperor VC archtop. As a moronic 16 year-old, I left this guitar leaning precariously on a chair, and (surprise!) it fell, causing the black lacquer finish on the neck to crack. Basically, the finish is chipped a tiny bit in a bunch of places right where the neck meets the fretboard, mostly on the inside. It's not horribly distracting, but it's noticeable.

Immediately after this unfortunate incident, I took the Epi to a luthier, and he said it's not an actual crack in the neck, just in the finish. The guitar sounds as good as the day I bought it, so I believe him.

Now, I'm looking to sell this guitar. How much does a crack like this reduce its value? Is it easy to repair? It is worth bothering to repair, or should I just sell it as is?

Thanks!

to repair it would cost as much if not more than you will make on it. As long as it plays fine just sell it on.

Yeah, as long as it's just a finish crack, it's fine and shouldn't materially impact the value.

Ironically, I just took a couple pictures of my main player, an absolutely abused '91 Ibanez UV7PWH. "Player" condition doesn't do it justice - you could go to jail in some states for what this guitar has been through. :laughings: It was already like this when I bought it (and is a tonal beast), but for kicks here's what the neck joint looks like:

119.JPG

As you can see, I'm rocking two neck finish cracks, and one of them is nearly 2" long. It's a 19-year-old guitar, this shit just happens, and it's perfectly stable.

The rest of the pics, if you're morbidly curious. :D

http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...cussion/22995-opposite-case-queen-my-pwh.html

Thanks guys. I will sell as-is....I'll be sure to take some good pictures so the buyer knows what he's getting himself into. :D

It's a beautiful guitar though, plays like a charm. Craigslist, here I come....

Back