Cpu upgarde or Mac Mini

All4Love

I have a computer now that has the Sempron 3200+ 1.8ghz 256 L2 in it. I know this is a really low end processor and at this point im lucky to get past 6 tracks on Reaper ha.

My only option for this computer for CPU upgrades is AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4ghz 1M L2, on up to the higher AMD Athlon X2 4800+ with 2.2ghz. I know Dual Core maybe better but is it really a better CPU for recording considering the 4000+ is a bit higher in ghz?

My other option in my budget is a Mac mini G4 that hear alot about using in a Studio. With about $300 i can get a Mac mini with the 1.6ghz Intel or PowerPC 1.5ghz. Which is better?

Walmart is selling the new DELL XPS with the Q6600 Quad Core by the way for $995. Bit much for what i need.

What are the opinions? Using Reaper. Should i use another program with these CPU'S?

The Athlons will be a HUGE improvement over your Sempron.

You didn't say how much RAM you have, but thats another inexpensive and effective upgrade.

Upgrade to an Athlon and add more ram and you'll be blazing fast compared to your current CPU.

Not a big fan of macs, but they have their uses. But generally, they are not easily upgraded.

You don't want a PowerPC-based Mini. The G4 was a turd of a CPU. You also don't want the original Core Solo- or Core Duo-based Mini. Get one built around a Core 2 Duo.

Back