CPU Processor Question. (AMD Phenom II 965 BE vs amd phenom ii x6 1045t)

braincoil

Hello. I am getting a Barebones computer to get started for my home recording workhorse. I have a question on the CPU's though.

There is one kit that has a AMD Phenom II 965 BE. And here is the specs for the CPU...

Processor Speed 3.40GHz
Cores: 4
L2 Cache 2MB
L3 Cache 6MB
Bus Speed 2000MHz
Unlocked Multiplier: Yes
125W

And there is one kit (thats about $75 more) with a AMD Phenom II X6 1045T CPU. Here is the specs for the cpu...

Processor Speed 2.70GHz
Cores: Six
L2 Cache 3MB
L3 Cache 6MB
Fan Included
Wattage 95W
Unlocked Multiplier: No

Heres the thing. One CPU has alot faster Speed, but only 4 Cores. The other is slower but has 6.

Which one out of the two is better for recording?

Thanks!

If they use the same architecture - faster speed. The plugin chain for each bus is processed serially - it has to be because plugin number 2 has to act on what comes out of plugin number 1. I've never actually tinkered with the innards of a full-scale DAW with an elaborate multi-threading system in place, but I'm sure it would only take a couple of steps before all the threads were stalled waiting on results from other ones before they could move on...

If they use different architectures - all bets are off, you'll have to defer to benchmarks, which you won't find many (if any at all) of for audio work because....

In reality - it pretty much doesn't really matter any more. Any decent CPU is going to totally destroy any audio work you throw at it and still be able to play youtube videos, check your email and whatever else you wanna do at the same time. Seriously. These kinds of questions are asked very often and I actually crunched some numbers for somebody a while back - search for that if you want hard numbers... I should have bookmarked that... Ray-tracing, video editing, physics simulations, gaming that does any or all of those things on the CPU...cracking encryption... these things can still bring our CPUs to their knees - audio stuff... not so much.

Back