Cowbell (mic choice and placement)

jdier

Knowing that my best results will come through experimentation, I am just looking for suggested starting points...

I am going to track a cowbell alone in a room and I am not sure, of my mics, which would be the best one to start with and what would be a logical placement.

I have Senn 421, sm57,58, Beta 52, 57, D112, oktava 012, SP c3, b1...

Thanks in advance.

Jim

jdier said:
Knowing that my best results will come through experimentation, I am just looking for suggested starting points...

I am going to track a cowbell alone in a room and I am not sure, of my mics, which would be the best one to start with and what would be a logical placement.

I have Senn 421, sm57,58, Beta 52, 57, D112, oktava 012, SP c3, b1...

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Oktava 012, about 2 feet above the cowbell. Roll the bass off below 80Hz. Keep the level a little low going to recorder (about -12dB on the average hit). Have the player push the beat slightly. (Having the bass player play the cowbell is usually better than having the drummer playing it.).

Use a parametric equalizer during mixdown to "tune" the cowbell to the desired tone. During mixdown, bring the cowbell up till it's just barely audible, then reduce the level slightly from there.

Big Kenny said:
Sorry Harvey, guess I watch too much SNL. I bow to your expertise.
No biggie. In actual practice, we usually use the Behringer ECM8000 for cowbell. It all depends on how much the cowbell is driving the song.

I prefer to record cowbell direct.

EDIT: WHILE THE COW'S STILL WEARING IT.

War

Last edited:
With all due respect to Harvey, it really depends on what the cowbells role is.
Now granted Harvey has the right idea for maybe rock, or just an accent type role, however there are many other facets to cowbell(s). I believe that is why Harvey made his observation. I'm not knockng you in any way Harvey!! I value your expert opinions!! There are many sizes and tone for different appplications to consider also. The mc012 would probably be my 1st choice too, though depending on context the B1 may be a good choice also.
But since jdier did not state what the cowbell's role was, the micing technique and mix levels should be the best way to capture it.

Now if we were talking a comparsa rythmn or...oh never mind its prolly rock anyway.

T

012 or B1

Harvey's trick to get some good forward-driving tension into your track is nice!

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that I've had good luck on percussion type of instruments with the B1 (eggs, shakers, bongo, ...). As it has a bit more top than the 012, and probably distorts a tiny bit more than some others (such as the NT1000 that I can compare with), it gives the track an edge, and it sometimes simple sits better in the mix. The 012 will give you a more neutral sound, if that's what you're after.

YMMW, though, but try out both the 012 and the B1 and see which you like the best.

... and then come back and tell us what you did ;-)

-- Per.

Tonio said:
With all due respect to Harvey, it really depends on what the cowbell's role is.

Now, granted Harvey has the right idea for maybe rock, or just an accent type role, however there are many other facets to cowbell(s).
T
Absolutely right, Tonio.

But, since most of jdier's questions on this BBS have been about recording rock music, I took a chance that this was what the purpose was.

See, before I answer that general of a question, I'll go back and take a look at the poster's previous history of questions to get a little better of idea of the genre he/she is into most. If they don't have a history that helps me understand their question, I'll simply ask what the use is.

In this case, jdier is a bass player, so that limited my response to only simple sentences and easy to understand words.
:cool:

Harvey Gerst said:
In this case, jdier is a bass player, so that limited my response to only simple sentences and easy to understand words.

C'mon, we bassists are a lot more intelligent than we get credit for.

My only question for this thread is, how do you clean up the cowpies after the session? Or do you spread plastic on the floor prior to starting?

Han said:
I happen to be a drummer, thanks a lot! :D
Like they say, what's the difference between a drummer and a bass player?

About half a beat.

....or,

Hear about the bass player that accidently locked his keys in the car?

Took him about an hour to get the drummer out of the car.

(Luckily, the top was down.)

crazydoc said:
C'mon, we bassists are a lot more intelligent than we get credit for.

My only question for this thread is, how do you clean up the cowpies after the session? Or do you spread plastic on the floor prior to starting?

Just don't feed the cows for 24 hours before the session. Their methane gas is known to melt acoustic foam also.

War

Remember... if your working with a click track, your working with someone who isn't listening. :D

I'd try the MC-012 or C3 in the omni pattern first... overhead placement.

Harvey Gerst said:
Absolutely right, Tonio.

But, since most of jdier's questions on this BBS have been about recording rock music, I took a chance that this was what the purpose was.

See, before I answer that general of a question, I'll go back and take a look at the poster's previous history of questions to get a little better of idea of the genre he/she is into most. If they don't have a history that helps me understand their question, I'll simply ask what the use is.

Wow Harvey !! I am really impressed that you would take the time to research the person's history just to give an opinion(expert at that). where's the I'm not worthy emoticon??

I guess you nailed it on the head!! uh to ensue other mutli faceted jokes too ;)
good to have to here!!

T

Tonio said:
Wow Harvey !! I am really impressed that you would take the time to research the person's history just to give an opinion.

T
If I didn't do that, my answers couldn't be very detailed, since I'd be in the dark as to how to advise them in a particular situation. I'd just be guessing, or offering broad generalities.

Being "notorious" here (I won't say "expert") has its disadvantages; I hafta be very careful as to what what I say to make sure I'm not misunderstood. Plus, it's just a good way to work as an engineer. First, I make sure I understand the question, AND what the questioner is trying to do. I've had singers ask for that "flanging" effect on their voice, when what they really wanted "chorusing".

Sometimes, the more you know about the person asking the question can really help with the answer.

Back