Covers: To gig or not to gig!

Wez

I am a Singer/songwriter and im just wondering what other performers opinions are of playing covers at gigs. Some people say that you should always play some covers at gigs to keep the audience listening. I like playing covers and singing them at home or to friends but Im not sure If this is the best way to get people to appreciate/listen to my own music when it comes to gigs. Ive often had people thinking my own songs were cover songs and didnt realise I wrote and played my own songs. SO ... Covers at gigs ...good or bad?

Depends on the gig I suppose. If you're playing someplace where people will appreciate your original material, then by all means play it.

I agree it depends on the gig - however, it is the rare band/artist that has 3 hours of quality original material.

A showcase that requires only a few songs is doable for most writers - but if you have 3 hours of good original material you must be a very prolific writer indeed!!!

A good combination

Again as mentioned depending on the venue and what you are trying to do.
If you want to make money then you're going to do covers and occasionally throw in an original maybe 80-20% you know?

And if you want to get you're stuff heard (and starve - just kidding..not really) You're going to have the same situation but flipped -- 80% originals..etc.

Now here's the thing - if you're going to go the original route. pick a few covers that kind of compliment your sound, if you sound like the Beatles (lucky you) throw in a couple of tunes and place them before (in the set) your favorite (strongest) originals. I always found that playing an original song that you feel strongly about next to a popular cover will get people to "listen" a little better. It makes it sound familiar...to their ears.

Better still do your own rendetion of the cover song...make it your own.

That's my 2 cents..hope it helps.

A normal, non-musician audience wants to hear songs they know.

If you are going to play them something they don't know, it has to be catchy as hell and delivered well or you will lose them.

A

hhmm... personally i dont find anything creative in playing covers. when i listen to a band and i'm enjoying listening to their original music, it annoys me when they then start playing covers... and if i'm not enjoying a bands original music then i couldn't care less if they play covers or not... because i've probably just walked out of the door :D :p

so when i play live i dont do it. i think my band have only ever played one cover. we hated doing it, and there was a definite lack of attention from the audience while we were, so we didnt do it again.

Andy

What are you trying to achieve Wez? Do you want the buzz / more experience of live performance, or do you have things you want to say? Decent covers acts can always get work, it's much harder as an originals act but those rare gigs can be much more rewarding. Totally different marketing approach required as well. Depends what you want out of it.

Personally I'd rather stay home and watch TV than play in a covers band, and I'd prefer to play to 30 people who want to listen to what we have to say rather than 300 people out for a party, but that's just my motivation - you might be the opposite.

Tell us more about what you want out of it?

When I was in a band, we did about 90% covers, because we played different venues every night, covering about 4 different genres of music. Most people do want to hear their favorite band's music, and it was only after we established our reputation that we were able to slip in our own material. I know that times have changed, but I think you need to play covers to establish yourself, and slip in an original now and then. And then eventually, the ratio will change to where you are doing more and more of your original stuff....

If YOU enjoy the covers, play them. That is what it's all about, isn't it? Having fun. If you don't want to play covers, then there is no reason to. You wouldn't put any real effort into it, and people won't want to listen. Music lovers love to hear music, and will give almost anything a listen. A good cover is fun to play, or listen to. A bad one is just a bad song.

I know, didn't say much, but keep it fun.

Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions.
I suppose what I want is for people to hear the songs I have put my time and effort in to writing and performing. I know that if you want to make a living off playing gigs then you have to play clubs and pubs where people want to hear covers most of the time. Its not cool when people come up to you during a gig and start making requests for "Lady in Red" when you are trying to play your own material. I dont need to make a living off playing gigs so I think the best way is to play fewer gigs and pick them more carefully.I dont mind playing a cover now and again but I mean...what's the point in trying to compete with DJ's and Kareoke machines? I'd also rather play to 20 people who want to hear my own stuff rather than be the guy in the corner of a noisy pub churning out jukebox tunes getting the odd bit of eye contact every other hour and people trying to talk to you in the middle of a song :eek: hehe.

It kinda depends on what you're doing. I'm in a band and we sometimes play hour and a half long sets. We usually don't play covers. I know this may seem totally different since your a solo artist...but this is what im getting to....hahaha bare with me here.... Its entertainment. I've found that the best way for a singer/songwriter to keep the attention of an audience for an extended period of time is to use DYNAMICS. If you have good songs and use dynamics then your set. You might not even have to play a cover if you can continuously surprise the audience. Draw the audience in..once they know whats coming...throw a curve ball. Don't over use this technique...but do it enough to keep it fresh. Also, If my band does get in trouble and people are starting to get a bit anxious...I play Wonderwall by Oasis by myself. Most people love this song. They sing along to the whole song and are smiling with their friends by the end of the song. Automatically they are sucked back in. If you really wanna make them the happiest people in the world...play another well known cover song. Then, play an original and see how it goes from there. Don't start off the night play covers then switch to originals cause they won't want to hear them if you play them later. Play them early in the set while people still have patience/aren't drunk. Play covers later if you have to.

I hope someone got something out of all this lol but if not....i gave it a shot!

Peace, Love, Simon and Framp-funkel!

There are so many great songs out there that it's almost a sin to play only originals.
It depends if you consider yourself an artist or an entertainer first.

acidrock said:
There are so many great songs out there that it's almost a sin to play only originals.
It depends if you consider yourself an artist or an entertainer first.
Damn good point! Have a cookie! :D ;) :cool:

My band does the entire solo section of Free Bird....it's sad but its true...if you can play free bird...the crowd will praise you. It's even more impressive when someone in the crowd screams free bird trying to funny...and then you actually perform it....they are shocked. Its a great feeling lol

songwritten said:
My band does the entire solo section of Free Bird....it's sad but its true...if you can play free bird...the crowd will praise you. It's even more impressive when someone in the crowd screams free bird trying to funny...and then you actually perform it....they are shocked. Its a great feeling lol
As long as they don't scream "Stairway To Heaven", when I was gigging, that was the one song we would not do. We even had a little sign next to our tip jar that said "We respectfully refuse to play Stairway To Heaven".

I've told this story before, but for those who missed it:

We had a guy come up and offer to drop $100 in our tip jar if we played it. We said no. He kept coming back and raising the ante, but we stuck to our guns. Eventually, he offered us $500. Idiot... We took it, then proceeded to play the worst rendition of Stairway ever heard. I played the bass in A, but one guitar was playing in B-flat, the other in F#, the drummer was doing a solo the whole time, and our singer was doing the worst Robert Plant impression of the live version I ever heard.
The guy was pissed, but he got what he asked for.

But we could do Freebird at the drop of a hat.

And Hotel California was another that was always asked for. We got tired of that one pretty quick too.

To me it entirely depends on the venue. Some clubs want covers 99% of the time, so people can drink and dance. Other clubs are for originals only and it is sort of a sin to play a cover. I've played in both kinds of bands, and it is really an eye-opening experience to see how the two audiences differ.

I do enjoy playing covers. A great song is great song. But you have to be very careful about what you play where. I was in a group once that played 2 hours of originals, but with 2-3 covers thrown in. Our own music was a bit on the serious side, and so, when we played the covers, the band seemed loser, and like we were having more fun. It was odd, but a critique of that band was that we sounded better on covers. Alas, not a good sign.... :D

Deciding on which way to go can really be a political battle within a band. Good musicians who are non-writers will get frustrated with the all-original venues where the money is scant or nonexistent. On the other hand, artist/songwriters will get frustrated quickly with the 2-hour all-original gigs, where the money is better. Note that I say "better".

That's me 2cents.

Just one other thing: Playing covers shouldn't be an EVIL thing to artists/songwriters. Learning to play the parts and chops of other musicians who have clearly succeeded in the music biz can definitely improve your own writing and playing chops.

Few musicians just pick up a guitar and start off creating brilliant stuff in a vacuum. Or as a friend of mine said once about going to galleries in the Art World:

"If you don't put something in [your brain], you won't get anything out."

That's my 3 cents.

Back