Covered Egg Cartons

tom5

Hey, I'm just wondering if I were to cover the egg cartons with felt or some other softer material, if they would do a better job than plane egg cartons. I understand that uneven and irregular surfaces do not reflect sound waves as well as flat surfaces, but i would just like to make sure about the egg cartons covered in felt or material before I start stalking up on them to make a kind of sound barrier for my drums for recording, as well as basic muffling as common courtesy for my folks. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Take care

Last edited:
Charley Fargeson with K-O-R-N news....Gawd, the Hee-Haw days.... :D Warn't his'n studio papered with egg cartons (and a nesting chicken on his desk)?...

I used to record with a guy in Awhatuki (sp?) AZ, his studio was in an attached garage, almost every square inch covered in egg cartons...Could hear him play his drums pretty well halfway down the block, we played so loud that I don't remember if outside noise ever got in...

Eric

If you're going to do that much work, you may as well just use rigid fiberglass. At least for room treatment purposes. Isolation is a different matter.

Egg crates on the wall are helpful in absorbing some of the high frequencies bouncing around the room, making things a bit eaier to record and reducing ear-fatigue, but...

they do nothing...absolutely nothing, to 'soundproof' or in any way 'contain' the amount of sound leaking from a room, meaning your parents are still going to send you off to military school.

LOL...So I guess wool blankets or blankets hanging from ceilings and walls are my best budget bet...

PYRRHO said:
Egg crates on the wall are helpful in absorbing some of the high frequencies bouncing around the room, making things a bit eaier to record and reducing ear-fatigue, but...
[QUOTE}
I disagree entirely. And I *have* tried them

they do nothing...absolutely nothing, to 'soundproof' or in any way 'contain' the amount of sound leaking from a room, meaning your parents are still going to send you off to military school.

They suck for asborbing anything, and thus suck for soundproofing anything. The only real way to absorb the sound waves is via mass. Ask this question in the studio building forum here, you'll get good advice. Don't waste your time and energy on egg crates - they do very little to help.

Another thought: Styrofoam (and maybe egg cartons too) produce serverly poisionous smoke when burning.... :rolleyes:

For absorbing highs, I'm thinking you'd be better off to hang the chickens on the wall. Seriously...

punkin said:
For absorbing highs, I'm thinking you'd be better off to hang the chickens on the wall. Seriously...

Dead to absorb... alive to reflect....

Gives a whole new meaning to dead vs. live space... ;)

I say keep 'em live to keep the wings flappin. You get a double bonus by saving on air conditioning costs...if you hang them near your racks, they help to keep the gear cool too.

Just wait til the bird flu kicks in full swing... You'll be ready with a stockpile of safe-to-eat chickens that your neighborhood will kill for when they can't buy their Chicken McNuggets @ you know where... :D

Back