cover or original

zaragemca

Greetings. When I was playing with Dr. King Cobra Band, it was all cover, (with a few exceptions), but the musical / roster we had, Reggae, Calipso, Soca, Afropop, Afro Jazz, and Latin Jazz, would make the audience to stay to the end to figure out which song was going to be next, being the only band in Houston where music from, Fela Kuti and Ossibisa could be enjoyed alive, would bring a lot of Africans to our shows, plus the people which like Caribbean Music. Those cookies did help the management of the Bob Marley Festival in Houston to set the band for closing the shows at the Festival. In the actual Band we have two CD's of original music, but we also could play, America, Cuban, Country, Samba,etc., beside the main genre which is Reggae / Fusion. Gerry Zaragemca

Last edited:
I don't know...I think the gentleman may simply have limited English skills...

But, I think I'm getting his point...

They are playing songs originally recorded by other artists, but which would not be familiar to the audiences they normally play to.

Given these circumstances, would they be considered a "cover band", like the guys knocking out "Stairway to Freebird" every night, or would they be some other (perhaps new) genre?

What about years back when a song was written and you would have 4 or 5 different artist covering that song (some off completely different genres) till one had a hit with it?

What about years back when a song was written and you would have 4 or 5 different artist covering that song (some off completely different genres) till one had a hit with it?

Back in the 50's and early 60's everything was fresh and new, so it wasn't a big deal. Do that now and you're lame as fuck.

"Hey Dave...saw you and the Foos on TV the other night...you covered CCR's 'Born on the Bayou' so according to Greg_L you're lame as fuck!"

So, if you count the covers he did when he was in Nirvana, Dave Grohl sells more CD's/downloads in what, maybe 13 seconds, than Greg_L has sold in his entire life.

And I guess we can all decide for ourselves who should be calling whom lame...

"Hey Dave...saw you and the Foos on TV the other night...you covered CCR's 'Born on the Bayou' so according to Greg_L you're lame as fuck!"

So, if you count the covers he did when he was in Nirvana, Dave Grohl sells more CD's/downloads in what, maybe 13 seconds, than Greg_L has sold in his entire life.

And I guess we can all decide for ourselves who should be calling whom lame...

I'm calling you lame for being a clueless retard.

Yep...the last resort of those with no argument, start the name calling...

Lol. There's nothing to argue. Comparing me to Dave Grohl is fucking stupid. You played the "so-and-so-famous-person sold more albums than you!" card, which is weak fodder for pussyhurt dumbshits. You're not too good at this.

Back in the 50's and early 60's everything was fresh and new, so it wasn't a big deal. Do that now and you're lame as fuck.

"Fresh and new" is the key thought here.

I reckon doing a whole heap of "Reggae, Calipso, Soca, Afropop, Afro Jazz, and Latin Jazz" is fresher and newer and less lame than doing another cover of Proud Mary.

"Fresh and new" is the key thought here.

I reckon doing a whole heap of "Reggae, Calipso, Soca, Afropop, Afro Jazz, and Latin Jazz" is fresher and newer and less lame than doing another cover of Proud Mary.

Maybe, but that shit is prehistoric old. :D

Anyway, let me clarify before some of you insecure cover hacks kick your dog to death.

I like cover songs. I've done millions of them for fun. I like it when established bands that I like do cover songs. Ramones doing The Who is a double shot of awesome.

What I hate are cover bands that solely exist to be cover bands. And what's even worse? Tribute bands. I know good players that are wasting their talents in stupid cover/tribute bands. I don't care how often you get to play or how much money you make. Neither respective number is enough to be a cheeseball.

Greetings. I really was no confused about what is a cover band, but point it out that the diversity of the genre which we were playing, ( a rarity in a Reggae band), would place the band, (Dr. King Cobra Band), in a position of being able to close the show, ( something which is reserved for the out of town bands). And in the second band, even when we have son originals, we still have to play other songs to cover four hours, ( when we are the only band in the place). Gerry Zaragemca

Back