Cover of Tyrant by Judas Priest

Crank,

I spoke to my buddy and he said he'd do it. As far as getting the mix here, if you just want to e-mail me a mix without the guitar vocals, I'll just put that into my recorder and have him do it. I guess the highest quality file you can send. Then I'll burn that to c.d. and then load into my recorder. I dont record with my computer. I think the sound would be decent enough though. My mailbox can take pretty big files so I'll leave it up to you as far as what format of the mix you want to send. If you have any better ideas let me know, I'm somewhat handicap in technical matters. Its just for fun so I think this is the easiest way, unless you know of one.

I'll check you out later!

Well, I don't know how I can send files thru e-mail here, but the file without the vocals is here. I hope this works:

It's 128 kbps MP3. I don't have enough room in my geocities account, to put over 5 megabytes, so that's kind of a bummer. This version is already "final mix", so it's compressed. That could be a little bad thing, but like you said, it's for fun. And this is for all of you to try out. Anybody can give it a shot. :)

Crank,

Even on mp3, it sounds really good. I will not mess with any part of the music other then mixing it with the vocals. I gave that singer a copy and he's going to practice it a bit and let me know when hes ready. I'm going on vacation next week so I'll keep you posted. You know, that version with the guitar vocals is really cool. I kept a copy of that for my head.

later.

well shit....right click, save as....(slaps forehead)

Crankster...you rock...I love it! mix sounds nice and tight, and the rhy gtrs sound good. I take some more *acrobatic soloing* in there somewhere, but I wouldn't want a EVH copy, or something like that. You get good tones all around, and the mix is nice and up front and present. I''ll love to hear what the vocals will do to this song. It'll have to be posted, for sure.

hey man the bass drum sounds like a typewriter, but considering how good your programming is, that doesn't matter.
Good job on the drum programming. I thought the overall drum mix was good. the fills sounded nice and the snare kick volume ration was fairly stable.
The nice Chorusy effect on the guitars during the chorus sounds cool. Gives it the Preist feel. Note wise, your spot on.
The lead solo fits well. Tonality wise, it's not happening for me.
The guitars just don't sound like Judas Preist.

I think it's an awesome song. I think note wise, you've got eh song. however, I think you could have spent more time with the guitar tones to make them sound more like Judas. That may not have been your appraoch, maybe you purposefully avoided that -- but I usually love a true reprsentation of the tone as well as the note-for-note accuracy..

but hey I'll give ya 8 stars out of 10.

Ace2000 said:

The nice Chorusy effect on the guitars during the chorus sounds cool. Gives it the Preist feel. Note wise, your spot on.
The lead solo fits well. Tonality wise, it's not happening for me.
The guitars just don't sound like Judas Preist.

I think you could have spent more time with the guitar tones to make them sound more like Judas. That may not have been your appraoch, maybe you purposefully avoided that -- but I usually love a true reprsentation of the tone as well as the note-for-note accuracy..

but hey I'll give ya 8 stars out of 10.

Ace2000,

Dude, If you want to hear the real version, slap it on. I think this version kicks ass. To me, it sounds like a lot of time was spent on the guitar sound. It would have been LESS cool if it sounded exactly the same. This version has "BALLS." I think the boys themselves would dig what "Crank" did with this classic. I couldnt get your version of "the trooper" to play, but I guess it sounds exactly like the original anyway so maybe I'll just slap on "Piece of Mind"

And by the way, it's Priest........ NOT Preist.

Thank You.

P.S. Just got "the trooper" to play and I'll post my comments in your thread.

Last edited:
Well, regarding the guitar tone, I really wasn't trying to imitate the original, since I wanted the song to have my kind of touch. You know, something by me :) And that tone is the result of lots and lots of tweaking and testing. It really isn't easy to come up with that tone from nowhere. Lots of trial and error. And it's increasingly hard, because ears adapt too quickly to a tone, even if it isn't good, so I had to sleep overnight, and listen to these tones again. Well, that's it about the tone. I got a little carried away :)

And the typewriter sounding kick drum. Well, I agree a bit, because I went a little overboard with the kick, but anyway, this is supposed to be heavy metal :) There are many heavy records, which have awful triggered kick drums, including Judas Priest's "Jugulator", IMO. I mean, that's got to be the most awful kick drum I've ever heard. I still love Priest, though.

Hye Cranky - I'm glad you take criticism of your work better than others do. I gave you 8 of 10. I'm not saying it's bad at all. It is good, and you did an overall good job. I just gave a comment about the guitar tone in my opinion...I didnt say it affected the song negatively.

Us metal heads need all the support we can muster, and I hope I wasn't insulting you with 8 stars out of ten.

I didnt mean to offend you or your efforts.

No offense taken. In fact, it's good to know, if something is "wrong" in my mixing / playing. It helps me to better myself. I don't want to get too cocky. Hey, 8 out of 10 ain't bad at all! Thank you all!

Back