Cover Of the Trooper by Iron Maiden

Ace2000

hello all, I have a one minute clip up at my newly6 created site.

I hope you can all give me an opinion before I do the final mix that you may all willingly tear apart for your listening and critiquing pleasures next week.

I played all the guitar, bass and programmed the drums.
I will post a full version with solos after I hear some comments.
that may help me with a final mix. Any criticism comments please.........you may find the clip at

http://www.geocities.com/smokadoob/GuitarExtreme

You have got to be kidding me. You had the balls to talk about the version of "Tyrant" not sounding like Judas Priest, and THEN you put up this version of "the trooper"?

Compare this recording to "TYRANT" and then re-think your comment about him not spending enough time with the guitar sound.......................... try again.

thanks.

Last edited:
I like the bass guitar sound. I agree, that the guitar sound lacks something. Maybe it's a bit too sharp, or could use some amp simulation or something. Kick drum is nice. Did you use some kind of sound font?

Thanks for all input guys, I don't take it personaly!!
Thye guitars aren't finished!! ha ha, they're scratch tracks, and when im done, no i wont be kidding you....but hey, i was asking for opinions, so thanks man, I will take EXTRA time on those guitar tracks to try and please you!!!!
But hey, don't let any of my posts influence your attitude before listening!!!

Um,, no I use the LM-4 drum module. i programmed all the drums myself....thanks for the comments on the bass guitar,
I'm a guitarist who plays a bit of bass...

Hey Sabbath,
the Iron Maiden live guitar sound was mushy MXR dist. anyway.
They weren't known for a HUGE guitar sound. it's actually pretty bland..I thought Id stay true to that type of sound, but I can build a huge wall of guitars for it., but listen to the original. Some pretty mushy distortion there.

All they used was an MXR dist. plus for guitars.

Maybe all Im asking is what do you think of the drums so far?
Should I mix more kick? less snare? more crash?
any ideas?

Last edited:
Hey Ace,

Its nice seeing some MAIDEN on the page. The bit you have so far is cool. The fact that you did it all yourself is even cooler. Those begining guitar harmonies were played well. Definetly like the live version. Nice bass sound. The guitar sound isn't the best, but it might be the MP3 making it sound this way. Looking forward to hearing it when its done.

later.

Thanks.....it's a far cry from finished....I programmed the drums, Im playing all the bass and guitar....yes, Iron Maiden is one of my favorite bands. I really took some time to ear train the drum parts similair to Nicko without making the drums sound cheesy.

I intend to spend time on guitar sounds, but maybe a set of moniters will help me out...right now Im limited to headphones while recording and mixing. But when I do the guitars I will be going retro back to a 1982 style guitar sound. Loud Marshalls.
A little distorted, but nothing like a Smashing Pumpkins wall of sound. I want a strictly british metal sound on this track.

I'll have it done soon and when it's done Ill post it in hopes some fo you will give me opinions,...

Back