Cover of Collective Soul - Where the river flows

It needs the drums to come up. Leave the overheads where they are, just the close mics, especially the kick.

The bass is fine.

The guitars need to be tuned or intonated. Something isn't right with the tuning.

One of the things that makes the original groove is the how tight the guitar part was played. They weren't sliding around, the main riff was played very crisply. It's very important to stop the note on time as well as playing the note on time.

thanks fairview.
I adjusted the bass drum track a little. made it a little louder, and added some compression. I think it's better now....thanks!! I think that the guitar sounds funny because we're playing it in standard tuning, and the original may have been in Drop D. But i couldn't swear on that...thanks again.

JasonBird

The guitar needs help !!!!!! Nothing even close to the right sound. Played all wrong. Sorry but Collective Soul is on of my favorite bands and I dont like that interpretation. Its fine to change a cover some (I do all the time). But that was wrong. Sorry. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the listen,
Not sure what you're talking about, but like i mentioned, it's in a different key, but other than that, it's pretty close. Maybe you should listen to the original again. How would you play it? i'm trying to get something constructive out of your post, so help me out a little brother!!:)

JasonBird

The thing that makes it sound wrong is a combination of the tuning problems and the fact that you are not playing it as staccato as the original. You are sliding into and out of the chords and that blows the groove. Since you aren't doing it the same way every time, it just sounds sloppy.

The original part is very tight (bump ba ba ba bump ba ba ba bum bum) yours isn't (baaa,ba,ba,ba,baaa,ba,ba,ba,ba,baaa) There is no space between the chords.

The thing that makes it sound wrong is a combination of the tuning problems and the fact that you are not playing it as staccato as the original. You are sliding into and out of the chords and that blows the groove. Since you aren't doing it the same way every time, it just sounds sloppy.

The original part is very tight (bump ba ba ba bump ba ba ba bum bum) yours isn't (baaa,ba,ba,ba,baaa,ba,ba,ba,ba,baaa) There is no space between the chords.

Thank You. I didnt know how to say it. Other than its all wrong.

Back