Cover of Can You Feel The Love Tonight, Need Help With Vocal Issues

GoblinInventor

Hihi,

I just finished an initial recording of a cover of Can You Feel The Love Tonight. I'm somewhat unhappy with the vocals because they sound... very separate and... well... you'll see. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Michael

You may want to find another site to download from - the 60 second wait is annoying and will put off some listeners....

Anyway the mix is okay - you could pull the vocals down a tad and add some more reverb to mix them in a bit more.

D'OH! I forgot how blah that site is ><

And thanks for the advice! I need to figure out what kind of reverb to use, a lot of them seem to overwhelming. I'm using Pro Tools M-Powered if anyone happens to be familiar with the reverbs available. I'm also using a pretty basic microphone, an SM58. I'm thinking about moving up to a Rode NT1A, but idk if the improvement will be great without finding a better room to record in.

OH, and that reminds me! Does anyone have any pointers for finding a room to sing it?

New Site to get it from!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1022413

cyftlt

Thanks!

Is this karaoke? Even if not, I would not invest in more mics, yet. Vocal coaching is where I would put my bucks. I don't say that to be mean, but there are pitch issues all over the place.

Yes, I'm aware of the pitch issues. I actually have extensive vocal training, I just haven't put in the time and effort yet to really crisp this up (there are a number of issues with my recording setup as it is which makes it a bit hard to hear the music and therefore to stay on pitch). This was off the cuff, I was just confused by the way that it ended up mixing in in pro tools.

Thanks though! I'm going to try out what's been suggested and fix the rather severe issues with pitch.

Yes, I'm aware of the pitch issues. I actually have extensive vocal training, I just haven't put in the time and effort yet to really crisp this up (there are a number of issues with my recording setup as it is which makes it a bit hard to hear the music and therefore to stay on pitch). This was off the cuff, I was just confused by the way that it ended up mixing in in pro tools.

Thanks though! I'm going to try out what's been suggested and fix the rather severe issues with pitch.

Again, I wasn't saying that to be mean. I would retrack the vocals bro. If you have had extensive vocal training then you know what I say is right. But a better mic is not the issue, nor the is level or verb.

Thanks db, I'll be retracking today probably. I know you're not being mean, I'd say the same thing to someone who had issues with pitch like are on my current track. I need to work out my monitoring system because it's hard to hear my voice and the music at the same time (which is pretty much the best way to stay in tune if you have a good ear). Be putting up a retrack by tonight hopefully!

here's my 1 guy in 6.5 billion thoughts:

* it might not hurt to up the tempo a bit

* I'd rather not hear any of those doubling tracks like the trumpet sound in the intro and in the verses you've got some "ooh" or something. If you do those tracks, you need to use them super-sparingly and outline the form of the tune.

* picture an old Walt Disney cartoon like Bambi. Remember how it looked with Bambi all clear and detailed and the background all blurry?
That's what I go for and it's real important for me to have the lead whatever (vox in this case) have more high end than the background, or it sounds like the background is vying for the spotlight.
You've got the opposite where the vox has less high end than the background and it doesn't make your vox sit on the front of the sound if you know what I mean.
So either get a better mic or add treble to what you've got (which usually sounds ugly). Ditching the extra synth tracks will help that 'cause your pno is already muffled.

Now this is just my opinion and I can already hear the gasps, but finding another room for where you're at now won't do much. I record in a tiny room and have had some top pros in here. If you are close to your mic (say 1" to 10") it makes very little difference if you are in a closet or an airport hangar, because 90+% of the sound will be directly straight from the mic and the background will only be 10%, which matters yes, but it's minor, especially for where you are at right now. That's what reverb is for.

Back