Couple of songs remixed

I know I have been critiqued on the guitar sound but, the guys in the band like so, it stays as is. Fire at will:D

I'd Do It Again
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=412155&songID=7205013

Long Black Veil
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=412155&songID=6301855

Both sounding good, I especially like the harmonica on Long Black Veil-it gives a nice spooky air to the song.
Is that a flanger on the guitar on 'I'd do it again'? It just sounds a bit different-I suppose I expect a phaser on the more Country sounding stuff.
But like I said---It's all good!

Long Black Veil:

Hits:

Instrumentation,

Drums,

levels, but the vox get quiet at first "someone was killed"

the tone you get from the guitars,

harmony vocals,

"wailing" effect towards the end of the tune: it avoids being cheesy-- well done.

reverb. Why does my reverb always suck? What do you use?

The recording reminded me of Robert Earl Keen, which is a big plus. He's one of my favorite artists...

Misses:

Biggest problem in the mix is the emptiness of the right (harmonica) channel. There's nothing there except a few harmonica ornamentations unti :51 or so. And then it goes back to being empty excepting the vox (which resolve very clearly to center in my V4's)

Fade+Ritard at end. Maybe it could work, one way might be to have the words night. wind. wail. be separated by a space, with each one quieter in the delivery, not the fader. I dunno.

Some clashing in the guitar parts here and there, but I like them overall.

The tempo felt a little off to me somehow in places, but I think if the vocal delivery relaxed a little and the singer maybe allowed himself to go off the click track, it would hang together just right.

IMO.... :)

some other ideas for ya!

On I'd do it again...

maybe turn down the reverb on the first "I" and the "I" at around 2:40

turn up the first cymbal hit or somwhow have a bigger drum hit at the 'gin of the first "I'd do it again" to further enhance the contrast with the break just before that. The other crashes seem to be right...

I definitely dig the fade out on this one.

Back