Couple of electrical questions about a splitter schematic

Adam P

I have a couple of questions regarding this schematic from Jensen Transformers here (.pdf file).

First, what is going on with the Black and White wires from the transformer?

Second, what purpose does the resistor and capacitor across the secondary side (I think that's what its called?) of the transformer serve?

Third, can a simple SPDT switch be introduced to modify this from a simple splitter into an A-B box?

Thanks a lot.

The white is to ground the can the transformer is in. The black would be the shield in a balanced output circuit. It has been tied to the neg on the output.

The resistor/cap network is to dump RF noise to ground.

Ooops, forgot the last question. Yes.

So, basically the brown and white are tied together, and the black and orange are tied together?

And would a SPDT switch work here?

Boingoman, ya beat me to it...

Black and orange yes, white and brown, no. Look for the dots to indicate connections.

Jason

Adam P said:
So, basically the brown and white are tied together, and the black and orange are tied together?

That's right. :) Expensive little bugger at $70, but in this case you definitely get what you pay for. There is nothing as good out there as Jensens, as I see it.

Did you get that from Jensen's site? Tons of great info there.

boingoman said:
That's right. :) Expensive little bugger at $70, but in this case you definitely get what you pay for. There is nothing as good out there as Jensens, as I see it.

Did you get that from Jensen's site? Tons of great info there.

Are you sure? I don't see a connection between white and brown...

boingoman said:
I was just thinking the same thing. :D

You may not need the transformer for an A/B box.

Right, an A/B box would just switch between inputs (or outputs).

Jason

cowboyj said:
here's the image for easier viewing....

The black comes from the center-tap of the transformer, and gets hooked to ground via the orange wire. On this diagram, they connect just before the RC network.

The white is connected where the brown takes the 90 degree upwards turn.

boingoman said:
The black comes from the center-tap of the transformer, and gets hooked to ground via the orange wire. On this diagram, they connect just before the RC network.

Heh, sorry, I changed my post after I wrote it.... :D What about the white and brown wires?

Jason

Ahh, never mind. The way the diagram is drawn I just didn't see it.

Good luck with building this beast, Adam.

Jason

This will be used to switch between two guitar amps with a single guitar (with active pickups), which is why I was also inquiring about adding the SPDT switch right off the Tip connection of J1. I want to have one of the outputs transformer isolated to avoid ground loops. And yeah, I got the schematic from Jensen's website. They are pricey, but everyone says they're at the top of the heap, so I figure its worth it. Hell, a Morley ABY and an Ebtech or Rane hum eliminator would run me around $120, so I figure that the rest of the components can probably be had for less than $50 total, and it will be self contained.

After doing a bunch of searching about how to read a transformer in a schematic, I still wasn't clear on what the dotted box around the two coils represented, but it appeared that the White was also connected to the sleeve on J1 on the diagram, which, I would assume, is grounded to the chassis? and the Black is attached to the Orange right before the R1/C1 part, correct?

I'm trying to learn what the purpose of each of those things is so I know why I'm doing what I'm doing. I appreciate the help. Thanks again.

Adam P said:
I still wasn't clear on what the dotted box around the two coils represented, but it appeared that the White was also connected to the sleeve on J1 on the diagram

This is what was confusing me too.

And yes, it looks like the white is connected to J1.

Adam P said:
which, I would assume, is grounded to the chassis? and the Black is attached to the Orange right before the R1/C1 part, correct?

Yes, and yes.

Jason

Very cool. Thanks to both of you.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish I'd gotten into recording before I went to college. I could've studied EE like all my friends and learned something useful! :)

Adam P said:
I'm trying to learn what the purpose of each of those things is so I know why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I hear ya on that, I'm all about DIY music toys. I try to do the same thing you're doing to get a grasp on what each componant is doing. Although some days are harder for me... Like this after morning when I handed in four papers and took two tests (tonight is the first night of spring break at U Maine). :D So yeah, the ol' noggin noodle is a little mushy at the moment.

Jason

Adam P said:
Very cool. Thanks to both of you.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish I'd gotten into recording before I went to college. I could've studied EE like all my friends and learned something useful! :)

Ditto on that. I'm finishing my senior year as a psych major focusing on neuroscience... Now I'm thinking EE or ECE would have been a bit more benneficial.

Oh well, there's always grad school. :rolleyes:

Jason

Back