CountryMan condenser mics and preamp questions

PowRGnome

Hey. I'm getting ready to record my rock band and I was looking into what mics to buy as drum overheads. At a local indoor fleamarket, I saw two CountryMan mics that would be the first things to match my projected (and modest) budget. I'm not entirely sure they work, but they can be returned. The vendor says that they have no model number or other identification but they are certainly some order of condenser. I saw in another post someone mentioned the electrets, and I think it's likely that these are them. If anyone has ever used these or knows absolutely anything about them, I'd love to hear it. Also, I was looking into buying an M-Audio DMP3 two channel preamp to power these, possibly warm up the bass tone from my keyboard after it is recorded direct, and then warm up the signal when mixing. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the ability/desirability of the DMP3 to do these things. Thank you so much.

Jon Mullen

Welcome.

I can't comment on the countryman mics, as I am not familiar with them. Other reasonably priced overheads would be Oktava MK/MC 012 or MXL 603s, which can also do double duty for recording acoustic guitars, etc.

I do have a DMP3. Most people would say that it is one of the "cleanest" of the cheap preamps, and I tend to agree. It will amplify your sound, but I don't think it will "warm" it up much. It is definitely a good investment for home recording.

Good Luck.

Back