Could you take a listen to this?

memo

Can you please take a listen to this?

This is my first ever try at recording the Acoustic Guitar. I took a lineout from my Yamaha Acoustic and I also miced it with a SM57 pointing towards the 12th fret. I ran those two signals into my Behringer mixer and took the output into my computer.

You may listen to the file here, it's just some basic strumming encoded at 160kbs, filesize is approx 500kb.

Any comments on the recording, EQ, my playing (I suck), whatever and any other opinions are appriciated.

The only thing I find wrong with it is the E and B strings. They have this "hum" which I can't get rid of. I think it's because of the bridge. Like, when I pluck the E string and mute it, the hum of it still continues and I think it's a bit too noticable in the recording.

[Edited by memo on 12-29-2000 at 04:39]

This is by no means meant to put down you efforts. But I'm under the opinion that trying to give somebody an honest judgement of the EQ and sound quility of an MP3 is impossible. I realize it's the best think going right now. But the one thing it does do is screw with the EQ of a song. Anyways for a dry single recorded with stated equipment, it sounds useable. I hope I'm not coming off like a know it all. cus I'm not. I don't have the best equipment by any stretch. But What I would worry about, is making sure you get a good clean track. Playing wise. Make sure you're not clipping any, which it doesn't sound like you were. And then if you have it, try a some processing or EQ to beef it up a little. Don't get to hung up on perfection right now. Try to actually complete a project (song) even if it's just a few minutes long. Then listen to the whole thing and see where you feel it's lacking. And maybe post it here. I like the chords your playing. Chord changes sound pretty clean.

I'd like to hear it in stereo, since you used both a line out and a mic. It sounds usable, but what context. Like ChrisN said, getting some other tracks down along with it will give you a better idea as to whether it will work/usable or not/trash it.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

Yeah, I'll be putting other tracks along with it sometime soon (I hope so). I suppose that would give me a better idea.

Emeric actually the line-in signal is slightly panned to the right and the mic signal is slightly panned to the left. I guess I'd have to make them full right and left to make it really stereo.

Thanks guys...

Hmmm...well, I like it at least

I'm not much of a qualified opinion, so to speak, only reason being I've never recorded anything, yet and have very, very little experience. I've got some stuff on it's way, so I should have it soon, but I think that your acoustic sounds really good through what you've done. Keep working and I'll keep my eye open for other postings of yours. C-ya!!

Back