could really use a second set of ears. glen,greg, mshilarious?

isnt this the point of the mp3 mixing clinic? yet no one will give me any critiques?

Woah, there. 2 hours has passed and you're already gettin' impatient? Give it a day or two before ya bump like that, bud.

I listened, and the mix sounds a bit air-less. There's no high-frequency at all (seems like)... Also, when the full band comes in the cymbals and guitars all but totally cover the snare drum. Bring the snare up, as well as the kick. They're a bit buried.

Yeah... This is especially apparent when the quick timing comes in with the full-band (around 2:30)...

The mix needs more sparkle. Good effort, though! Keep pickin' at it, and it'll come alive, for sure.

This is really cool stuff!

The guitars are a bit too much mid scooped. A liittle 2.5k or so would liven them up maybe not on all of them?

The kick needs top and bottom to me. more 60hz and if you havent boosted 4k try boosting that with the kick solo'd until you get a good click going. More feel more click. If the mic was to far from the beater and Boooooom is all you have, put a gate on it and mess with the threshhold and the release until it gets punchier. you want it to open quick and close pretty quick so that it has more punch.

most of the mix is a bit too mid scooped.
Some things are not though (whaaaa guit, piano)
Bass guit is in need of some more mids too.

Very cool stuff!

F.S.

I dialed in some mids to the whole mix on my board around 3k give or take and it didn't totaly fix it but, it made a big difference. I thought it would make some things too sharp but it didn't seem to.

F.S.

when you're talking about lack of "air" do you think this might be partly because the guitars were DI'ed? the only instrument actually recorded using mic's were the drums.

I'm listening on cheap phones but the impression is that everything's soooooo distant. The part with the heavy guitars should kick ass, but I can't really feel it, it sounds like it's being reverbed into infinity. Yeah the lack of "air" has already been mentioned. Now don't get me wrong, I really dig this tune. But listen closely to Floyd's stuff from the DSOTM or Wish You Were Here era for the quieter parts and things like Dream Theatre for the heavier ones. It lacks punch and be a lot better. The arrangement and the song deserve it.

Joey :):):):)

Back