Could I setup up something basic for around $5000

Sadistic 666

Thanks for reading this. I have been thinking of saving the money to go and rent a studio but I thought about it and relizized that it'd be a waste of money and time because ,well....I suck(lol) So I think (tell me if I'm wrong.) that it'd be a better idea to get the basic stuff to kinda improve and work on my sh*t.

"Get to the F'N point already!" right?(lol)

I need something to produce beats for rap. I think I need keyboard,samplers beat machine but I'm not sure.

I'd also need like a decent mic.

I'll use my comp too but I don't know what I need as far as that goes,I know it'll need a better sound card.

I hope to have $4000-5000 by september. So is that enough for what I need, I talking used stuff ,even if its not the best just something that will make what I do sound a little more then half-assed(lol)

Thanks.

Hey Sad,
I posted this on the newbies list yesterday for someone.
Thought you might like to see it, but of cause your question .......... I could think of half a million possibilities.

Here's a copy:

Just had one of our regular session players come in, wants to buy some gear to start recording at home, putting demo's and basic tracks down for his own CD, vocals, percussion and grand piano to be added here in the studio, which we'll do for free cause he's a cool guy.
he's just moved house (and around here a small 3 bedroom place costs between $500 and $600k, which is a joke), so he's a bit strapped for cash (better word - he's just about broke).

This is what we came up with:

A Dell Dimension L refurbished computer with 19" screen,
933 MHz Pentium III, 256 RAM and 20 GB drive $ 950,00
A Tascam US-428 console / controller (no sound card required),
which comes complete with Steinberg's Cubase VST recording / MIDI software $ 599,00
A Blue tube stereo tube preamp (the US-428 hasn't got preamps) $ 200,00
2 JBL LSR 25P monitors (he wanted good ones - you can get cheaper) $ 800,00
He already has MIDI gear, so no cost there.

Total cost: Just over $2500 for a complete system with eight channels of audio and 16 MIDI, 2 bands of parametric EQ and 2 plug-ins per channel, with 24 bit AD and DA converters. Plenty of free VST plug-ins available on the web, multiple fader banks, and fully upgradeable to the full version of Cubase at minimal cost.
I think that's difficult to beat - if you get cheaper monitors you could have the system for about 2 grand (not ecommended - stick to as good as you can get for everything!)

hi,

a pal of mine at work just finished a hip-hop cd where all the instrumental were done on an xp-10, the vocals were a $40 mic through a mackie, and then they spent $500 on mastering at a pro outfit.

It sounded good.
For 5 grand, you can definitely do it.

From what I've learned so far,
you'll need:

A sampler. Gigasampler is a cheaper than hardware but more powerful

A sound module. A jv 1010 has all the sounds of the famous Jv1080 and xp series keyboards.

A computer. you can get a really phat one for $600-700 without a monitor, but make sure to add extra ram to at least 256 megabytes

SOmething to get vocals in the computer: either a mixer or a preamp. Mackies are good as mixers, an have multiple preamps, but a single channel preamp sounds better. The joemeek vc series will give you fat vocals

A soundcard: GO with the delta 1010 as its unbeatable as far as sound/price, but you can do with a delta 44

sequencing software: Cubase, Digital perfomer(only available on mac), Logic etc

Good monitors to hear exactly what you are mixing. The Yorkville ysm-1 seem to be winners on this site.

Sound treatment, cables, cdr and you are good to go. and you are well under the 5grand limit

New? They ain't new!
Our new system will record to 10.000 rpm, 72GB hot-swap drives, the same ones which are used in the video / post production industry.

I've been using 10,000rpm drives for quite a few years. Of course, that's in bigass database systems (try half a terrabyte of storage) but they've been around for quite a while.

They cook - both in speed, temperature and noise. They are hot, whiny, but fast as greased goose shit.

I would recommend not recording in the same room as them. Oh, and they are also ridiculously pricy, but then, all the ones I get are SCSI (and come with an engineer :)

Back