Could be a very dumb question..

MisterP

I got a Profire 610 a couple months ago and had so many complications using Firewire that I decided to shelf it and fall back on the old Emu 0404 PCI card I previously used. Couple of my friends talked me out of using Firewire, too.

It still bothers me that I have a perfectly good Profire just sitting there, probly waiting to hit Craigslist, with better conversion, etc. than this old PCI card..

The peeps at M-Audio suggested to me the same solution (TI Chipset) over and over again, I went through three different 1394 cards and finally gave up, at least until I can afford a MacBook or something.

Anyway, it dawned on me that theres a SPDIF In on this Emu card and an Out on this Profire.. I know the M-Audio works in standalone, but I have no idea how the SPDIF jungle works.. if I got the Profire running just on external power, plugged my preamp into one of the Mic/Line Inputs on the Profire, sent a SPDIF cable out of the Profire and into the Emu... would that even work?

All else fails, this Profire hits Craigslist and I get a way better PCI card.

if your profire can work in slave mode then it will work, you just need to configure it in whatever recording software you are using.

You'll only get two channels across the spdif Input. Just add a strip to the EMU Patchmix software for the spdif. Then a send to an ASIO In. Mine goes to ASIO In 1/2.
Sorry, the image is kind of small.

Attachments

• EMUSPDIF.jpg
    EMUSPDIF.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 17
Back