Couch over bass traps?

noisewreck

So, I am sort of developing some plans in my head for acoustic treatment in the room that will become my "studio" in the new house I'm in the process of purchasing.

The room is relatively small (don't have exact measurements yet), so to save space and have some serious bass traping at the same time, I have thought of building a couch over the bass trap (basically 3 sheets of 4" Roxul RHT 40 or equivalent (12"h X [length of room]w X 4'd) piled on top of each other all across the floor in the back of the room) that will be placed in the back of the room. I am still contemplating some plans for doing it, and will likely have openings in the bottom and the back of the frame (bottom/seat being constructed of some elastic horizontal "springs") as to not block too much of the area over the RHT 40 batts.

Has anyone around here done something like this? What are your thoughts?

That's a good idea. For Low Frequency absorption, you actually do not need exposed absorbent. Many LF traps are behind 3mm plywood, membrane covers, etc.
Cheers,
John

Thanks for the response, John. I'll probably go for open/sprung frame for comfort anyways :) More work, sure, but will be worth it I think.

Back