copyright w/ Form PA - seeing is believing?

cbsc

Hey there,

While I am waiting for the Copyright.gov office to get back to me, I thought I'd post this question here too:

If a songwriter wants to copyright a song(s) using Form PA, is it enough (meaning will it hold up in court?) to send in an audio CD of a rough performance with a page of lyrics?

Obviously, sheet music is the legit way to go, and I can do this as I did with one song recently-- writing out all the notes for the lead vocal part and guitar part by hand on staff paper, but it takes so long, about 6 hours for one song, that I am looking for a faster method.

Thanks cbsc

Remember, PA = Performing Artist.. Meaning your copyrighting the performance of the track. You should also be looking to copyright with the SR form too to protect the sound recording itself.

While it is best to provide a printed sheet with the melody & lyrics - CD would likely hold up in a copyright battle.

Remember, PA = Performing Artist.. Meaning your copyrighting the performance of the track. You should also be looking to copyright with the SR form too to protect the sound recording itself.

I wasn't too worried about the sound recording itself because they are going to be rough demos, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to cover all the bases.
Thanks

While it is best to provide a printed sheet with the melody & lyrics - CD would likely hold up in a copyright battle.

That's what I am hoping-- let me know if you find otherwise and I will do the same.

Form PA is for the registration of a work of performing arts. The Office of Copyrights has accepted sound recordings for copyright registration since 1976.

Form PA is for the registration of a work of performing arts. The Office of Copyrights has accepted sound recordings for copyright registration since 1976.

Thanks Rick- that's I what I thought, but wanted to double check.

So the verdict is that you can just send in a recorded track on disc and it is copyrighted without having to write out the sheet music?

So the verdict is that you can just send in a recorded track on disc and it is copyrighted without having to write out the sheet music?

Correct. This has been true ever since the 1976 revision of copyright law. You can still use sheet music if you so desire.

Back