copy tape to cd

cyber_ops

I'm wanting to take some tapes (music tracks) and "brighten" them up, then burn them to CD.

The reason I'm doing this is that I'm tired of the poor quality of cassette tapes people use for special music at church (where I run sound). I want to try and get them to let me copy their track to computer, brighten it up somehow, then burn it to CD.

My question is this... what do I need to do this?? I assume that I hook up the cassette to my computer via my soundcard or some connection box that I've seen around. What should I use to "brighten" up the sound? Can I do that with software? Or do I need to run the cassette deck through some piece of hardware to do that?

This may have been discussed before, but I didn't see anything. If I'm blind please point me to previous posts :)

tanx.

Hey dude,

You're right about having to hook up the tape player to your pc soundcard. You'd need to find the line in and connect the tape player's output to that.

Once that's done, you'd need a sound recorder application. I use Sound Forge 6 by Sonic Foundry, its pretty cool, but there are loads of them out there (eg. Wavelab by Steinberg). Open it up, create a new file and hit the record button and get the tapes a playin'.

Once you're finished recording the whole thing, you can split up the songs into separate tracks, if you want to make editing easier (or harder if you want to 'brighten up' each track the same way). Sound Forge has some Noise Reduction filters built in but you could also use Noise Reduction 2 by Sonic Foundry which is pretty decent at getting rid of background hissing and stuff like that. I'm sure there are others out there too.

Once you got all the tracks sorted, then you just save 'em somewhere as separate files and use a cd-writing app (eg. Nero) to burn them as an audio cd.

Hope this is helpful

Sissy Pecks the Nadman

Back