Cool Vibes

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Strange but cool . . . the last dozen or so times I've set my Strat up to record, or at least practice, I've gotten this intermittent humming or smooth buzzing sound in my headphones. Not an electrical sound at all, more like what you hear in your head when one or both ears are plugged with water and you hum - but not loud. Confused yet ?

It happens right as I plug into the interface and strum my Strat for a level, so I thought it was coming from there, but no fiddling with the interface or the line at the insert point produced the sound or removed it when it was there. The gain on the interface was all the way down and I'd see a low signal on it's meter with no sound, except this hum-like sound. Now. . . when I'd lean back in my chair the hum sound would flicker off and on then off as I'd leaned all the way back. As I would rotate the chair or lean forward, the hum would flicker or come full on.

This has nothing to do with he single coils on the Strat, BTW, and it's only there when I strum the strings. It's like putting your ear to a wall and hearing the muffled sound of a guitar being strummed in the next room.

Well. This afternoon I took the time to figure this out. It's coming from the Strat's body. The body rings beautifully unplugged and is transmitted via the headphone cable to the phone's cups where it faintly sounds. But the cable can't be in contact just anywhere on the Strat's body. I only hear it when the headphone's cable is touching the upper horn. . . if it's not on the horn, it doesn't work.

Now I'm thinking this is pretty cool. I can practice unplugged and get a cool sound from the body vibes wearing phones.

I've seen quite a few posts here and there where people are hearing double or delayed sounds which haven't been purposely dialed in, but I don't think this could be described as such because it doesn't behave in that manner. There is no delayed signal as I'm monitoring it through my DAW - and once the guitar is fired up there, it's loud enough to completely smother this sound from the headphones/Strat thing.

Here's a pic showing the cable/body connection that transmits the vibes :

good vibes.jpg

I try to wrap a loop of headphone cable in my belt so that it stays out of the way, and it has enough slack that if I step on it, it doesn't yank them off of my head. That seems to be an issue with me. Last year, I was getting ready to rip into a solo for Hey Joe, and my guitar went silent! Some idiot forgot to loop the cable through the strap first. 🤪

That happened to our guitar player on an audition one night. He talked me into doing this back-to-back stance with him while he soloed, so we did that and as he was winding down we broke and he jumped straight up in the air. He landed on his guitar cable and yanked it out with a great "POP !" and that was that. We didn't get the gig.

Back