Cool idea? Or no? Bandsites for musicians

yeah...i noticed i hadn't made the connection...

we have to buy into the dozens of little things just to be considered a serious artist. in this case a domain name.

you've got record labels owning the songs, you gotta pay for copyrights, pay for your website...etc. and when you have your itunes or whatever thing set up...they want a huge chunk of YOUR art. it's like...you sell something at some building, and the building owner wants 40% of your makings, and then the other 60% pretty much goes completely into every thing else. In the case for major label, you get less than a dollar for that 13 dollar cd, and you still have to pay headroom before you see profit.

i mean...we've payed for cd's, recording equipment/studio time, mastering, posters, webdomains, t-shirts, stickers...and because everyone else is doing it, we have to keep up.

what the heck? at some point this crap didn't even exist. and now because it exists, its the staple-must-have.

when will it stop?

i know...you wouldn't have a cd if not for an engineer or whatever...but, you wouldn't have anyone to record if it weren't for the artists. We all depend on other people. So one artist bows to it because we gotta eat, and so the rest follow, it becomes norm and we all stop caring. the whole system is going more more more and the artist is the one that's taking the shaft.

Then stay away from the music business? :confused: I agree with everything you're saying. I'm not sure how I forgot to say, but this will be completely free for everyone. It's a lot of work but I remember before I learned coding and stuff about websites, how nice it'd be to have one available for free.

Also, the cost of a domain name and hosting is so cheap nowadays, if you are serious about making it in the music biz it is no-brainer of an investment.

RAMI - I remember you showing me that site before. I guess the advantage of mine is it will be free, and will have all of the features listed on there.

If this is going to be freeware or close to it, I'd also ask you to present it to the programming community as well as the band community. Open sourcing this could really be cool.

Definitely. :)

Edit: Wow just noticed you're also from Huntsville, AL? :eek:

Edit #2: At first this will support both PayPal and Google Checkout (not very common in a lot of eCommerce scripts). I will also be adding in more methods as updates.

Back