cool edit/nr

leobluesy

Hello
Ive been using cool edit for a couple of years at home and am happy with the results... but I find that as soon as I use the hiss reduction,, even the light hiss preset....it gives a nasty metalic chorus sound to the remaining audio. Im just using the presets for this. I try hard not to use any noise reduction for this reason but sometimes its needed. Any ideas what Im doing wrong. Computer is no frills basic stuff.
Thankssssss

It's many years (and many versions of Audition) since I've used Cool Edit but a couple of tips I seem to recall.

First, I always had better results using "Noise Reduction" rather than "Hiss Reduction" even if I perceived my problem to be hiss.

Second, results tend to be better doing several light passes rather than trying to fix the noise problem all in one go. Capture your noise sample in the normal way but take the "slider" down fairly low and process. Capture another noise sample and do another light process...and maybe repeat again.

The other thing to play with is the FFT size (from memory, Cool Edit still allowed you to adjust this). A high FFT number gives a bigger HF sample but also results in more possibility of that echoey sound you mention. The balance of FFT size and amount of reduction in a single pass is one you can play with--i.e. high FFT, light reduction, lower FFT more reduction but it's a matter of experimenting.

As always though, noise reduction is a destructive process. It's always better to try and get rid of your hiss at source rather than process later.

Bob

Hello Bob
Thanks for your reply.
I use cool edit purely for recording my own songs....usually up to 12 tracks.
Most of the cleaning up I do by hand.... between sounds..and that is fine as I just silence those parts.
I will experiment as you suggest... and also I will soundproof the comp a little more as that does have a little effect on the mic sounds. The robotic hint of sound just likes to show through especially on acoustic guitar when any form of NR is used.. but I will work on it.
Thanks for your time.
Regards
Leo

Leo, I have found that if you highlight an area with just the noise or hiss that you want to remove, say like at the beginning of a track before the audio starts, go to noise reduction and load profile, then go back a highlight the entire track and use the previously loaded profile, then it will only remove that noise or hiss and leave the audio intact with very little change. I do this when doing a "clean up" of old records and tapes. Hope that helps

Leo, I have found that if you highlight an area with just the noise or hiss that you want to remove, say like at the beginning of a track before the audio starts, go to noise reduction and load profile, then go back a highlight the entire track and use the previously loaded profile, then it will only remove that noise or hiss and leave the audio intact with very little change. I do this when doing a "clean up" of old records and tapes. Hope that helps

FYI, that's exactly the way--and the only way--that noise reduction is designed to be used, hence my reference to "capture your noise sample" in my original post.

FYI, that's exactly the way--and the only way--that noise reduction is designed to be used, hence my reference to "capture your noise sample" in my original post.

Hello Bobbsy and Moptop...
Thank you both for the input... appreciate your time.
I have tried using both NR and Light hiss..reduction and mostly find it leaves the metallic chorus sounds..especially to acoustic guitar tracks.
Ive used the method of sampling the quieter lead in... and using NR but it always leaves that metallic sound. So now I tend to remove what I can between vocal words and bass notes etc..but dont generally use any auto NR now.
Im pretty sure the problem is more noticeable on this machine than my older slower machine.... and although it tends to freeze up regularly...Im tempted to retry the old one again.
Most of my songs end up on youtube :*) so the upload system there adds noises anyways... but Im still looking to be able to use the NR somehow when its really required.
I have assorted tracks onYT under leobluesy.
Thanks again
Leo

Did you try the suggestions I made about doing several passes of light reduction rather than trying to do it all in one go?

Basically, grab your noise sample from a bit of "hissy" silence, then turn down the amount of NR and do a pass. Grab another sample of silence, then do it again. Using 2-4 light passes will usually get rid of most noise without nasty artefacts on the music.

Of course, as I said, the best way is to trace the source of the noise in the first place and get rid of it. Noise Reduction should never be more than a last resort rather than part of the production chain.

Bob

I did try the hiss reduction experimenting with several sweeps and modifying the figures.. but will certainly retry again in a more depth.
Yes I am also closing in the computer tower a lttle more securely..as that is a big source of hum/hiss..... the railway is a real headache too :*( no presets for TRAIN REDUCTION )omg. but luckily I can usually record between rumbles. Appreciate the advice again,
Thanks
Leo

Ah, that changes things a little bit. In electronic terms, "hiss" is usually used to describe something that is effectively white noise rather than the disk/fan sounds from a computer tower. My suggestion of using several passes of light NR still stands, but the results will be a bit more variable than with a consistent electronic hiss.

You're right to try and get rid of the problem at source by isolating the computer (though don't block off all the cooling...the results could be worse than noise). Beyond what you're trying, may I suggest that you get a longer XLR lead and move your mic farther from the noise source. The "inverse square law" applies so if you can double the distance between the mic and the tower, you quarter the noise problem.

Also, assuming you're recording with a directional/cardioid microphone, you can help the noise problem a lot by considering the placement of the mic. Pickup at the rear of the mic is very much attenuated, especially at higher frequencies, so if you can arrange your studio so the back of the mic is pointing directly towards the tower (and, hopefully, have something soft behind you to avoid reflecting sound waves) you can greately minimise the problem of the noise.

Bob

Hello Bob
Some interesting info here and will take it all onboard.
Have been working my way through -Sound FX/Case- over the past few months and learning a little here and there. Sometimes I can get things quiet... and sometimes the robots can be heard.

I will silence a few more things and move the mic (budget condenser)
Once I have tried this..I will record and let you know the result.
Thanks again Bob/Moptop for information. Much appreciated.
Leo

Back