Cookie Monster Vocals

I am not an expert but I would recommend either finding a vocal teacher with experience in the heavier styles or just practise and experiment. Chris Liepe, the vocal teacher I posted a video off above, has a lot of good videos filled with advice and practise tips.

If you find a short cut I am very interested. Haha I should practise more :P

Not sure how those video zoom teachers get along. I went to some recording seminars they had at GC. But they were really long and only took questions at the end. By the end I forgot what the question was I had. The format didn't work for me. Instructional videos are okay, but I end screaming questions at the screen.

Recording or engineering lessons, one on one could be something. I would be interested in that. For a couple sessions to go through the issues.

My method of singings has always been..Belt it out like a drunkard. Yell it like a little 5 year old. 100%. No whispers or soft yada yada.

Why would a reverb sound like a crowd? If you want a crowd, you need to record multiple vocals. (like a lot of them)
Yes, so I watched a couple videos on layering. I tried it. I did 4 stacked. It smears the vocal tracks together, like mudd. No compression or EQ used.

You have to perform it a little tighter if you don't want it to smear. It also helps if you pan the vocals across the soundstage. Of course, when you do that, they become too distinct and won't sound like a crowd, so you need more.

You have to perform it a little tighter if you don't want it to smear.
I was trying the technique. Yeah, I messed up a lot and just kept going. Played the keyboard with one finger.

Man, can you tell..I wanna cookie monster 'Rock On' soooo bad.. But I don't know how..

Last edited:
I wanna do this! Weird shit on youtube..

Stay focused. One thing at a time.

Keepin it old school. Just belt it. Those dudes are tossers. There shouldn't be that much to it. It should be fun, not technical.

Last edited:
Yall must be thinking, 'how is Beak doing with the Cookie Monster thing'..After many SCARY MAN youtube videos. And many nights of mental conditioning. This is what I came up with.....Preset 156 on the voiceliverack...I totally cheezed out..

Not sure what came over me , but this one is a little silly. It needs a little work. Not Cookie Monster , more like the lizard people from Jupiter Ascending.

8fe535df9148e0f98baab7a68e31a250.png

Last edited:
Should I embrace the technology? Even if it sounds somewhat faked.

or

Listen to those video dudes, who look like their eyeballs are gonna fall out their head?

So I just listened to what you did there and to achieve what I believe you are shooting for / want, at some points you have to SCREAM till your vocal chords bleed...OK maybe not bleed but they will hurt ..I had heard a weird version of like a rolling stone here on HR.com about 12 years ago...one day while driving home from work I had an epiphany of a weird version based upon that version and started screaming to emulate what I was hearing in my head...suddenly I had this raspy rock voice coming out of me that I had never heard before...As soon as I got home I ran to the back room and laid down a track with the idea... My throat was hoarse afterwards but I did it..12 years later and as a 67 year old man and I have surely done some damage and my vocals are much raspier than they were pre screaming but I can still pretty much hit all the notes cleanly if I want...had some radiation on the neck and that affected my 3+ octave range...I can go deeper now but the super high highs are no bueno anymore. I only pull out the scream when necessary and do a shit load of mellow beach boys easy singing stuff... Here's the end result of my epiphany screaming technique...cranking it to 10+ For your auditorial entertainment "like a rolling stone" sung a smidge differently than Bobby or Jimi... nothing but reverb, growl and a little phlegm... ;) Definitely gets raspier mid way through...

.one day while driving home
The ride home after a hard day, is where the best vocal performances ever known to man, have happened.
Simply put, you cannot contain the energy of freedom.

I just listened to what you did there and to achieve what I believe you are shooting for / want, at some points you have to SCREAM till your vocal chords bleed..
I cannot believe anybody sings like that.
heard before...As soon as I got home I ran to the back room and laid down a track with the idea
TAE you sound great there, nice voice. What microphone were you using? Levels?
my 3+ octave range...I
Yeah, I can sing an octave, just not at the same time.....Oh.

I am a little disparaged at everything. So I have a new love for the art, that is Cookie Monster. I was going for, sex robot, cookie monster, super villain. Somehow I got a little bit of lizard man in there too. There is a learning curve to it. Cartoon voices.

For this threads recordings I have the stuff set up in the front room. M88 microphone. ADA guitar and bass stuff.
20210328_163706.jpg

Last edited:
TAE you sound great there, nice voice. What microphone were you using? Levels?
Thanks man...Just a sm57 and that was through a line6 ux8 that died on me and some reverb ..line level just below where it went into the red at my loudest scream...
The ride home after a hard day, is where the best vocal performances ever known to man, have happened.
Simply put, you cannot contain the energy of freedom.
This is true stuff...While I was still "working for the man" it required a sit in traffic for an hour each way drive most days...Had many inspirations on the drive home...I called them my 57 frwy tunes cause that is the freeway I was on when the muse would hit me...traveling through the old native indian areas of so cal...

The quality used by the singer on the first video is something usually described as "rattle", another sound that is pretty much like a rolled consonant produced by approximating parts of your vocal tract that are close to the vocal folds.

This is rather easy to find, first do some grunting sounds like you are clearing your throat. You are probably going to feel some resistance and make voiced sounds together with it, then try to find a way to make just the grunting sound without voice, a "unvoiced clear throat" if you will. Signal processing won´t produce the same result.

For more information, google Complete Vocal Technique - Rattle

Back