Converting to MP3

jjtcorsair

I started using a TC Finalizer as a mastering compressor/limiter and I really like it alot. The problem that I'm having is when I go to convert the stereo mix (24bit 48k .wav) to mp3 in Sound Forge all kinds of strange noise gets added. I've never had this problem when I just did a bus mixdown (without going out to the Finalizer and then back in). Has anyone else had this problem when converting to MP3?

Thanks

jjtcorsair said:
I started using a TC Finalizer as a mastering compressor/limiter and I really like it alot. The problem that I'm having is when I go to convert the stereo mix (24bit 48k .wav) to mp3 in Sound Forge all kinds of strange noise gets added. I've never had this problem when I just did a bus mixdown (without going out to the Finalizer and then back in). Has anyone else had this problem when converting to MP3?

Thanks
Yeah, that's failry common, actually. You'll probably need to dither your WAVs down to 16 bit first before you do the conversion.

G.

Also, you might want to convert your wav files to MP3 using LAME (encoder) and RazorLAME (frontend) , this encoder is just amazing, and gives the best results possible (not even subjective, I think ;-))

Thanks Trickster. I just gave LAME a shot and am impressed. It converted to MP3 from 24bit 48k WAV without a hitch. Sound Forge couldn't do it.

Back