Converting RNC to +4

Bowisc

Let me clarify:

Does anyone know anything about modifying the RNC's input/output to balanced as well as getting more headroom out the unit?

Bowisc

Last edited:
You're mixing up two different concepts....

+4dBu or -10dBV is related to signal strength or gain structure....

The terms "Balanced/unbalanced" refers to connection type and is completely independent of gain structure........

The RNC signal level runs somewhere between a -10dBV and a +4dBu signal (there is a 12 db difference in level between those 2 gain structures), so it interfaces very well with just about any gear -- without modifications.

As for making it balanced -- there is little advantage unless for som reason you are experiencing induced noise with the unit now.........

So does this mean that the RNC is not rated at -10 and is somewhere in between that and +4 operating levels?

Specs says:
Operating level: 0.775 Vrms (0 dBu) nominal

Bowisc

It's rated at 0dBu so its gain structure runs 4dB below that of a +4dBu signal......

It is definitely NOT a -10dBv signal.......

Okay now I can explain that to someone who feels they may not have enough headroom from the unit.

Thanks Bruce.

Bowisc

Bowisc said:
Okay now I can explain that to someone who feels they may not have enough headroom from the unit.
If someone believes that to be true (lack of headroom), then they have a lot to learn about gear to make an assumption about a gear's headroom simply by the nature of its gain structure!

Bowisc- It might be an issue if he is trying to run the RNC output into +4 inputs but it should still be putting out enough gain. If not you can run it through a mixer or clean preamp and add a little gain there.

Hey - Compressors aren't supposed to provide a lot of gain, only makeup gain. They expect to have a line level signal coming in, and then will provide enough makeup gain to bring the signal back up to line level after gain reduction. So, if the output is too cold, it's probably because the input is too cold.
Regards, RD

RNC at +4

I believe an RNC will happly accept a +4 dBu signal, and about as cheerfully output that signal at a nominal +4 dBu.

About the only thing you'd notice is that you'd set the threshold control a tad bit higher -- but you really need to tweak this control and evaluate the results with your ears (or the gain reduction meter, if you're so inclined) anyway. You can't just set it deafly by the markings, because where it belongs depends a great deal on the characteristics of the signal you're feeding it, rather than simply its level.

So long as you set the makeup gain equal to the gain reduction that results from the compression (which you'd do at any nominal level), a +4 input signal should come out as a +4 output signal.

Indeed, you could even have it accept a -10 dBV input and output it at +4 dBu, so long as your compression is very light. The makeup gain control goes to 15 dB, so if the compressor only reduces level by 3.2138 dB (that's not very much compression), you can raise the signal to +4 dBu.

If you want to balance the input or output, I think you'll need transformers.

Back