converting albeton mix to wav/mp3 ?

rwpattie11

I'm finding that after I finish mixing and convert to a wav/mp3 I'm left with something that sounds nothing like the mix. The volume level drops, so does the low end. I'm using ableton live 8.2 trial version and its native audio export function. Its there someway to have ableton emulate what the exported audio will sound like? Is there a better way of exporting audio? Or is this an ableton problem? Is this because its a trial version? Kind of a waste of time to get the mix sounding just right only to have the exported audio sound like ass.

Thanks
robby

I'm not sure of the flexibility Ableton offers when exporting files, but you are probably exporting it at too low of an MP3 quality. It is best to use a designated converting app to change your files to MP3. You could even use iTunes - at least it gives you some more encoding options. Export your song as a WAV (highest quality) and bring it into iTunes. In the iTunes preferences you can set your conversion parameters. I'm not sure how to do it on a PC, but on a Mac you then exit preferences and go Advanced file menu > Create MP3 Version.

I'm finding that after I finish mixing and convert to a wav/mp3 I'm left with something that sounds nothing like the mix. The volume level drops, so does the low end. I'm using ableton live 8.2 trial version and its native audio export function. Its there someway to have ableton emulate what the exported audio will sound like? Is there a better way of exporting audio? Or is this an ableton problem? Is this because its a trial version? Kind of a waste of time to get the mix sounding just right only to have the exported audio sound like ass.

Thanks
robby

hey man, welcome to the forum!

it def sounds like you are exporting a mp3 file size too low. I ran into the same problem back in the day. +1 for Wav, or Aiff, but try and bring the file size up. Also, are you bouncing in at least 44.1 khz/ 24-bit? Try a couple different bounces and throw them on your iPod/whatever and compare.

Good luck,
T :cool:

Back