Converters - possibilities?

kubeek

I am thinking about buying new converters (aka soundcard :-), and would like to know what are all my options. I plan to buy something with 8+8 in/outs, but I want to be able to upgrade it in future to 16 or 24 input channels.

I use asio drivers for recording, and was told that I cannot combine more soundcards to have more inputs simultaneously.

What I thought was:
what interface? Firewire, USB or PCI?

I heard of mixers with converters like mackie, how about them? How many outputs does it have?

How do multiple same firewire devices work? Do they show as one device when connected together?

What you want is a soundcard whose ASIO drivers support multiple cards, such as the RME.

You can have more than one soundcard as long as the driver supports both of them and presents them as a single device to the ASIO layer.

There are other cards that support multiple cards (of the same manufacturer of course), I am just not familiar with the.

Also, there exists a third-party driver out there, I forget the name, that supports multiple cards of different manufacturers. The supported card list is limited, but I believe they will add cards as requested.

i know you can stack multiple Delta 44/66/1010 cards to increase your track count...but they are PCI cards so some PC"s might not have any PCI slots especially the newer PC"s.....

3 Motu interfaces will give you up to 60 in/outs. Motu designs their stuff to be stacked and use the same drivers.

I've been using a firewire 828mkII for over a year with my XP laptop with great results. The 8Pre is a killer deal right now...

Back