Converter quality in rackmount fx processors

morte sicura

Hi everyone,

I read a lot about the difference in using high-quality stand-alone converters (Apogee, Lucid, etc.) when, say, tracking to ProTools or at mixdown. However, I haven't read too much about the quality of the converters in a typical rackmount multi-effects processing unit. It seems to me that every time you send a signal through one of these devices there's a chance the converters can degrade the original analog signal - just as when going into a digital recording device.

So, if I am tracking to an analog deck (Soundcraft M8 pre's ---> Tascam 38), but I am inserting, say, a Lexicon Vortex or MPX 100, will I encounter (for lack of a better description) "bad sound" due to the conversions - once going in and again coming back out? This assumes I am printing effects during tracking. Also, what about mixdown? If I don't track with effects, but I have an fx box inserted on a track, it goes a/d, then d/a, and then it will go digital again if I am mixing to computer or dat.

Also, are there digital units that are known for crappy converters? I am considering the Lexicon Alex or Vortex, or the MPX 100/110, or maybe if I am lucky with my $$, a TC Electronic M-one.

Anyway, this might be slightly disorganized and long-winded, so I apologize for that. I'm just wondering if I am going to hear a difference, and it if there will be a noticeable "cheapening" of sound when using a digital unit at this price point. Just trying to figure it out a bit before I spend some dough.

Thanks!
Andrew

Hi Andrew. I would advise to never track with effects in the insert. Unless you are going for only the reverb return sound. I only use dynamic effects in the insert as they are "in line" and replace the dry signal with the effects output. The way to use time based effects is on an aux or effects send/return or split the dry signal via busses and return it on another channel. Then you can use the dry and effects return channel as a wet/dry mixer. Compression or EQ are the things to use in an insert, i'm not saying it won't work it just limits you aloy. As for the conversion of an effects/verb unit i would think the AD/DA vary greatly from one box to the next but most won't compete with a standalone converter. This is of no real consequence as most engineers just add a little to the dry signal as outlined above.

Good luck and if you don't like the advice go ahead and do it, there is no real wrong way just some guidelines.

Jake, I do agree with you, in terms of what makes sense effects-wise with inserts vs. with the aux bus. But yes, I might try it several ways just to see. I've never really tracked with effects before!

I'd mention that the issue of converter quality would come up with a compressor like the RNC as well, and it is a great little unit...

Analog recording gear is at an all-time low price-wise, and I chose an analog deck to avoid the harsh and grainy aspects of mediocre digital (along with all those clock issues and all the things I read about in TapeOp's computer section every month), so I guess I'm just asking if any of the cheaper muilti-fx boxes ($200 price point) are gonna give me the exact sound compromises I'm trying to avoid.

Back