Conversion of vintage Dukane PA mic

I would like to convert this vintage Dukane mic to use as my control room mic. Trouble is it has 4 wires plus a shield. (black, white, red, green) Only the black, white, and red are connected to the mic element. Anybody know how I might connect an xlr to this?
100_4476.JPG100_4475.JPG

Get a multi meter out and check for continuity between wires.
You might find that black and the sheild are both ground.

That still leaves 3 wires...Could it be balanced dual impedance?
Should be easy enough to figure out.
Is there a transformer in it? Have you googled for a data sheet on the mic?

Usually if there are impedance wiring options, there's a guide somewhere on t'internet.

Edit..That element is dual impedance according to the interether. Can you do a better pic that shows the whole heap, please?

There's a lot of wires in the base (mic has a "push button" for talking) I am under the impression that some of the wires have to do with cutting off incoming transmissions when the button is pushed. I checked continuity between the shield and all other wires.... there is none. There is also an slide switch on the bottom of the mic. Don't know what that is for either. I just want the mic itself and the talk-button to work
100_4477.JPG100_4479.JPG

Ok, take all of the following with a pinch of salt; It's an educated guess.

It looks like the element sends signal through two wires for lo-z and two wires for hi-z.
Since there are only three wires, one has to be common, so assume that's black. It may not be......

White looks like it's just soldered onto a little tab. It looks like maybe the tab is just a holder?? I can't be sure. Check it for continuity against all terminals in the mic (switches and all). It may be earth? I can't tell.

The PTT is what it is, and the other switch looks like maybe an ON OFF?
Again, guessing here, but it looks like one setting would bridge yellow and red/green, killing the mic.
The other setting would bridge black to yellow, and red/green are permanently connected. This would make the mic work.

It looks to me like red/black are your post PTT outputs, and the others probably allow for pre PTT output..

I figured out how to wire it high z using a 1/4" connector, I connected the red wire to the tip and the white AND shield to the sleeve. I was just hoping I could do it low z and use and xlr, but I haven't been able to get that to work. Oh well.... this will work for now.

I did find a resource claiming this element could be wired for lo-z balanced, but I don't know if it's correct or not.

Google "Shure 99S556 balanced". If you have no luck I'll look it up again.

Whether XLR vs Jack matters or not depends on the input you're plugging into.
If your interface as XLR mic level ins and inst/line 1/4" ins then it does matter.
If you have gear with a 1/4" microphone level input then it makes no odds.

You can totally wire an unbalanced XLR. XLR 2 = hot and XLR 1+3 = shield.
Of course, be very very careful. If you do this and then switch on phantom power by mistake it'll all go wrong.

Back