Control Surface?

LDS

I've been playing around recording at home for the last 10 years or so. Started with a MOTU 2408MKII (still use it and love it) an Alesis Studio 32 mixer (still use it and love it) and Cool Edit Pro (probably the best $400 I spent at the time). I still suck at it, but it's at least a higher grade of suckage. :D

Recently I bit the bullet and upgraded to Audition 3.0. It's really nice. A lot more stable than Cool Edit and a lot more idiot-proof.

Audition has the ability to integrate with an outboard control surface. Having cut my teeth mixing live sound and on analog multitracks, I'm a lot more comfortable mixing with sliders than a mouse. I can run 8 channels at a time out of the MOTU into the Studio 32 and run a stereo mix back into Audition, but the re-patching and cable swapping gets tiresome plus it's a one-shot deal. I kind of like tweaking the volume envelopes on the individual tracks, and would like to use sliders to effect the changes.

Now, to continue making a short story long, I've been looking at some sort of control surface. Audition is compatible with Mackie Control Surfaces, and I've been looking around and found quite a few units which comply with that "standard."

One of the units that's caught my eye is the Zoom R16. At around four hundred bucks, it's just at the top end of my budget, and has the added plus of being able to be used as a mobile recording rig, and is much more portable than my current Tascam US1641 and laptop.

OK, all that being said, does anyone have any experience they'd be willing to share with low-cost control surfaces, and the R16 in particular? Any suggestions for alternate units in the same price range? The remote recording capability would be a plus, but not an absolute necessity.

The Zoom is a lot of money just to get faders... seems silly to buy another interface for the control surface only (unless you were planning on selling the MOTU, but there's no way I would swap those two... I've got the same MOTU unit, and can't say enough good things about it)

You should look at the Berhringer BCF2000... 8 motorized faders, assignable knobs and switches... you know, a control surface, for just over $150 new...

Worth a look...

I've used my Tascam digital board as a control surfaces and hate lining up faders manually, I've got a HUI with motorized faders that is a joy to work with... I don't own and have never used the Behringer, but have heard some positive comments, and since the audio is never near the unit, I'd be willing to try it at that price.

The Zoom is a lot of money just to get faders... seems silly to buy another interface for the control surface only (unless you were planning on selling the MOTU, but there's no way I would swap those two... I've got the same MOTU unit, and can't say enough good things about it)

You should look at the Berhringer BCF2000... 8 motorized faders, assignable knobs and switches... you know, a control surface, for just over $150 new...

Worth a look...

I've used my Tascam digital board as a control surfaces and hate lining up faders manually, I've got a HUI with motorized faders that is a joy to work with... I don't own and have never used the Behringer, but have heard some positive comments, and since the audio is never near the unit, I'd be willing to try it at that price.

I agree with MOFO....the ZOOM is pretty cool for what it is, but as a control surface, it's not near a competent as a dedicated contoller such as the BCF2000. I own a ZOOM R16 and use it as an interface and control surface. It's better than no surface at all, but it is lacking compared to the ridiculously cheap Behri.

Just had a look through the Alesis Studio 32 manual and can see no mention of midi I/O. Pity.
The Behringer unit gets excellent reviews and the only criticism I see is that the faders are non touch sensitive.
Do you use more than 8 channels?

Just had a look through the Alesis Studio 32 manual and can see no mention of midi I/O. Pity.
The Behringer unit gets excellent reviews and the only criticism I see is that the faders are non touch sensitive.
Do you use more than 8 channels?
I don't use MIDI, why is it a pity? Why do you need MIDI in an audio mixer?

Well, the project I'm currently mixing has around 40 tracks total, but I generally only tweak 3 or 4 tracks at a time.

+1 for the BCF 2000.

I have two of them which I use together to give me 16 faders, mutes, pan pots, transport controls and other assignable buttons. Got them both for undr $250 and have to say was money well spent. Mixing is much more fun and alive (and goes faster too) than it is with a mouse

I don't use MIDI, why is it a pity? Why do you need MIDI in an audio mixer?
If your unit had midi I/O then there's a good chance that it would act as a control surface.
I was really interested in both the Behringer and Zoom R16 until I discovered that I had a control surface sitting right on my desk.

If your unit had midi I/O then there's a good chance that it would act as a control surface.
I was really interested in both the Behringer and Zoom R16 until I discovered that I had a control surface sitting right on my desk.
So basically, I guess the control surface functions via MIDI?

That's pretty well it. Yes.
Next time you're in Tweakheadz site, have a look at that.
He lays it out quite nicely.
I discovered, while lurking on the StudioTrax site, that the Korg D3200 which I have, also acts as a control surface.
Until then, I had been trying to make up my mind which one to buy.
By the way, $70 will get you the Korg Nano control which you can find in most music shops. Pretty slick if you're just looking to do rough mixes.
Here http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/ProductDetails.aspx/PID=NANOKONTROL-WHT
Hefty little buggers.
Midi Basics http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html

Back