Control Surface vs. Analog Board for Mixing

fluxburn

I am seeking the need to mix my levels live. I used to mix on my mackie board 1604 vlz pro, but it has no compression. It was alright for basic mixing to two tracks, but using the Daw in Cubase Sx 2 is much better. So my mackie mixer is pretty maxed out, aux sends and all. I have a patchbay, which is cool but since mixers are not that expensive I was thinking about just getting another one. The also sell 32 or 24 channel mixers, that would be fine. On the other side I could get a yamaha o1v and use it as a mixer + use its faders for controlling levels in cubase. Alternativly I could just buy a control surface and mix inside cubase.

Ir really do much live recording, maybe a few tracks at a time. So mixing live it not an issue. I was gearing towards the control surface, but then I am pissed about my computer not being able to handle shit. Seriously I could use a 15ghz computer. I have a 2.4ghz + gig of ram and it is so weak. Sure it is fine for a few plugins and 20 tracks, but that is about it. I was even considering a protools mix system just so the thing could handle the tracks and I could use the computer for effects. I could buy the tc powercore I suppose. Is someone having better results with a DAW? I have built 10 pc's before and did tons of research and thing blows ass to me. My friend has a mac g4 dual, and it seems fine for basic tracking. He doesn't really use the thing to it's potential yet. I use every peice of hardware to its max. Maybe I should test out his system and see if it is powerful enough.

I seriously pick out plugins based on cpu usage, sound quality becomes second. I don't really understand the probelm, some projects are 10% cpu, but almost all are at 40%. Anyone else have this probelm in Cubase Sx 2?

fluxburn said:
I seriously pick out plugins based on cpu usage, sound quality becomes second. I don't really understand the probelm, some projects are 10% cpu, but almost all are at 40%. Anyone else have this probelm in Cubase Sx 2?

cubase using your computers cpu isn't a problem....

Are you using a separate hard drive for your audio ?

Maybe the Yamaha 01x would work for you as it does have it's own effects engine. But one thing about the 01x is that yes it has 8 pre's but only 2 of them have XLR inputs.

I have the Tascam FW-1884 which doesn't have effects, but works pretty good with Cubase SX emulating a Mackie Control. It gives me 8 pre's all with XLR or 1/4" inserts on each channel,phantom power, aux sends, 4 in and out midi etc..

This combined with a UAD-1 card and taking my DAW off of the internet seems to be a good working combination for me right now.

Yah I tried the mackie uad-1 and it gave me clicking, while the tech support did not exist. I returned the card to zzounds. I would much rather have the ability to set up everything in the computer, so much easier then using a mixer using aux sends to a hardware effects unit. I found that when I load up my "cubase" user and then hit control alt delete, then close all the norton stuff manually it works a lot better.

It sounds weird that your having that many audio issues with a 2.4 and a gig of Ram. I would say that this is defiantly not the norm. In the other post I have a similar system to yours, and I also have higher cpu usage based on the number of tracks that I have, but I never have audio issues.

I have a 2496 audiophile from delta on its on irq with 384 samples on asio in Cubase Sx. Also when I zoom in and out while playing it will make clicks, but this does not affect the music or recording thankfully. I talked to Stienberg, but I find there tech support useless as waiting on the phone for 20 minutes blows.

Back