control room monitoring question

So, you mean your interface has a headphone level knob that's not affected by the main output knob (which controls the signal sent to the output jacks). Is that correct?

Thanks for the info. What interface is that, by the way?

Interface is presonus firepod.

Headphone level is independent of main output level.

Bob, to what device do you record?
Fostex D1624.
It IS digital and so technically a computer but it's set up like a reel to reel where you HAVE to use a mixer and physical outboard gear. I have things set up exactly like I did with my reel to reels.

my monitoring is thru my reference stereo so I just turn it down ...... I have no latency issues since I don't record to a 'puter.
There have been a few times I failed to turn the monitors down ....... sometimes it mattered and I had to retrack ...... sometimes it didn't really hurt anything and at least once the background sound seemed to fatten the track and was desirable.

But, once again, no latency exists in my rig which would make having the monitors on a big problem.
Computer latency wouldn't ever be a problem. The latency mentioned before was the distance delay between the speakers and the mic. Bleed that's 15-20ms later than the track can cause goofy phase issues.

I don't know why anyone with an interface from the last 10 years would actually have monitoring latency unless they simply didn't RTFM.

My Motu 896 has independent level controls for the headphones and monitors. Before I had that, I had a mixing board and used the mix b and/or stereo auxes to make headphone mixes independent of the main mix and monitors.

Computer latency wouldn't ever be a problem. The latency mentioned before was the distance delay between the speakers and the mic. Bleed that's 15-20ms later than the track can cause goofy phase issues.

I don't know why anyone with an interface from the last 10 years would actually have monitoring latency unless they simply didn't RTFM.
I only mentioned latency because others had mentioned it ...... and my speakers are about 4 feet from where I track so, still no latency of that kind either.

I have a fairly cheap & basic Focusrite Scarlette 8i/6o.
It has a monitor level knob on the front face and a headphone level knob beside it.
I turn one down & one up.
There's a ZERO LATENCY setting ITB for the unit as well so that the "routing" is set for best value when overdubbing.

We shut down the monitors (Active) and amp (Passive) when recording using the power bar and amp on/off switch.

Finally I got fed up with it (because it really is kind of a pain, IMO), and so I got the TC Electronic Level Pilot, which Miroslav referenced, and yeah I love it; I can't believe I went without it for so long. You just put it in line between your interface's output jacks (1 and 2) and the monitors, and you have a separate level control for your monitors from your headphones. It's a lifesaver for anyone with only two outputs on their interface!

Yeah....even though I have options at my console to turn down the monitors, when I use to just work in the DAW...I was using the software faders in the DAW interface....which was OK, but I would jump back-n-forth at times between DAW and console....and I wanted one knob for both...and that was solved with the Level Pilot.

Now I just leave my console monitor volume at a set point, and the same with my DAW interface software faders.
All the level is controlled with the Pilot.
I even spent some time measuring levels with an SPL meter, and marking the Pilot at the base with a felt pen.
So I have like 5 marks....90, 85, 80, 75, 70 dB SPL.
I don't know why TC didn't put markings on the Pilot to begin with......just some short vertical lines, no numbers.

I have a monitor mixer so I just push the button there to turn off monitors without actually shutting the power.

I've been eyeing that Level Pilot lately. Simple, sleek look. It was the SDOTD on MF.com last week sometime and I almost pulled the trigger on it.

Back