Control input level with software compressor

clinton

I'm either mad or both
Hi All

I have heard that software compressors are better than hardware compressors (in some aspects).

The prob I have is that I cant control the level going into my preamp with software compressors. Basically if I set a perfect level for picking or for verses on my tube preamp, then it clips for strumming or choruses. I would like to record the song in one take and so I need to control the input going into my preamp.
Can I do this with soft compressors or do I need a hardware Compressor. I realise that by buying a cheap Hard Compressor I am messing with my sound but in my country (South Africa) electronics are really expensive....and I ve just fork out cash for near05 monitors....

What are my options here?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Essentially, if you want to track the compressor going "to tape" you need a hardware processor.

Another option I suppose would be to set your record level at a good point for the strumming, and then if the other parts are really too quiet, you can always draw up the wave forms.

I'm with RAK.

Set it so that your loudest levels keep under clipping and record without compression. As long as you are using a halfway decent mic and pre, and have ayour gain staged correctly, you could have plenty of dynamic range to get your whole guitar from quiet to loud into your computer.

You may have to work a bit a mic placement and getting the levels correct, but the results will be worth it versus squasing the acoustic on the way in and never getting those dynamics back again.

G.

And even if you add a h/w comp it wouldn't do that- (still being after the pre.
Are trying to do guitar amp like overdrive effects with the pre...?

Agreeing with what's already been said, do you have a volume pedal? That would solve some of your issues.

Thanks for the advice all.

Spent 3 hours yesterday doing tests to find the pre's sweet level and I think I got it sorted

Back